GOLD ! Is there any in the Susquehanna river ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

GOLD ! Is there any in the Susquehanna river ?

Or the streams that come out of the hills into it ?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 01:23 PM
The Man

Lots of info on the web, here's one link:

Where to find Gold in Pennsylvania. Prospecting and Panning
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Sage

There just may be gold in the Susq. river. But you would have to move a lot of coal dirt to get to it. Back in the 90s there was an amature gold prospecting publication that had game lands listed in it as places to find gold in creeks and runs. It took a few phone calls and a terse letter to get them to print a retraction, telling their subscribers it is illegal to prospect on game lands.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 01-25-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I got interested in this earlier in the year, but never found time to do it. From what I read there is placer gold in many PA streams, but there isn't much. The closer you can get to bedrock the better. Hawk Mountain Scout reservation shows scouts how to pan the the stream on their property and they find a little. York County Parks Dept. hold an annual panning event near the end of July. So its there, maybe I'll find some time this year.
willyp likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have found it in every stream I have tried in my area. HOWEVER, it is a very minor amount, a speck here and there. I have a small sluice box which lets you run a lot more material through.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I have a small stream on my property that runs about 75% of the time. Some years it drys up by June, some years it never does. I've noticed black sand in several places. I remember reading that black sand can be an indicator that gold could be present as well. Is this true in PA?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yes, from all I have seen and read that seems to be the case. I remember the first "speck" I found in my sluice box. the sun was shining on it as I was running material through and I saw it in the rubber mat before it goes through the riffles. it glowed in the sun shine, it was awesome!!!!!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Well this thread just cost me $20 for a couple of pans and 5 oz of laced pay dirt off Ebay. If I get more serious there is a cool little sluice box with good reviews on there for $45.

I reread some material and I'm near one of the better areas of the state, plus my son did a project in HS about all the mining near our town and gold was one of the things mined.

blackpowder, is it realistic to bring material home and run it, or would you need more than is feasible doing that?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage

Perhaps if you brought a dump truck load home it might be feasible but then what would you do with the dirt afterwards. I highly doubt anyone is getting rich or making any real money prospecting for gold, it s more of a hobby than anything, not to mention this isn't the 1800s, you can't just go to some stream that looks good and prospect and you can't remove minerals from state land which leaves private land where you will need permission to prospect. You also may run into problems with steam siltation violations using a sluice box, you might want to talk to the Fish and Boat commission before you start sluicing somewhere.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 01-26-2018 at 01:26 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

This is purely a novelty for recreation. I'd be thrilled to find a speck. DEP says you can use pans and non motorized sluices on Commonwealth waterways. PA state forests allow panning only. By sluice I mean like a 2-3 long one, more of a "more efficient pan". So I guess a 5 gallon bucket of sand & gravel isn't realistic for success?
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page