check out the new minelab equinox - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cubcadet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

check out the new minelab equinox

I was debating 2 months ago to buy the garrett at max, still not certain i be able to do any detecting, but i seen its still on back order and decided to look at something else. I was surprised to read up on the new minelab equinox 800. I watched video's on you tube from the UK. I was impressed with the unit and for the price of the AT Max, little over $100 more i be better off with the Minelab Equinox.

They are not available at this time in the united states, i did read on another site thinking Feb. 2018 they be available in the united states. I thought i would share this to you all. Happy hunting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

The AT Max just seems like aother AT with extra features like back lighting.
Minelab equinox there's not much about it, have to wait for more comparisons with other machines.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I purchased the Equinox 800 in Jan. 2018. Got it in my hands in March. Been out a few times with it, 16 hours total maybe. I did find clad coins, neckerchiefs, custom jewelry that the AT PRO missed last couple years pounding these 3 sites. No silver yet, maybe the PRO did sniff out all the silver? By any means i not knocking the PRO. It's a great unit. It served its purpose thats for certain.

The negative's i have with it is the headset cord gets in the way. It's not a coil type wire cord like the Garrett AT PRO head set. The manual? doesn't come with one. Have to up load it on line, Really? No usb charger comes with the unit, have to purchase one. My case i did buy one my Iphone charger is a 1.5A. The detector requires a 2A. It is lighter than the PRO, but after 4 hours my right arm & shoulder tells me enough. The unit is featherlite thats for sure, maybe its me out of shape? It's been a very long winter.

As for the multi, 5, 10,15,20,40 frequencies? In Multi with detector on #8 setting in recovery speed works awesome. An area i ran into power lines the unit goes nuts, just as the AT PRO did but it had 4 frequencies and still had the depth. The equinox 800 when you have interference with power lines, you switch in my case for to to clear up i have to go to setting 10. I do not have the depth with normal swing as you do in multi. You have to swing very very slow motion for it to react finding a target buried in the ground. If you don't you will miss a lot. Maybe that's why my arm got wore out last 2 trips?

I did a garden test when i first got the unit, just for kicks. Did the same thing as the PRO did. Fresh buried coin's 6" does not see the coins. Air test? I don't go by that as well, means nothing to me.

The good. Easy to ground balance, Noise cancel is a plus, Threshold easy to adjust. A full battery charge could last all day. The most i did was 4 hours straight it was 70% charged. I didn't care for the factory setting's target tone set at 50. I have mine at 5 to me its much better & quieter.

I like the unit a lot, is it better than the PRO? Yes & no, depends how you look at it. Does the Nox find what i missed in the ground 4-5 years waving the wand at these same places? Sure i found more that was missed. I may add the last few visits at these sites with the PRO found nothing. Which is nice brings back the excitement to go back to these places find what i missed.

The boy scout camp thought it was cleaned out after 4-5 years detecting there, last 2 visits found more than i expected. 1936 Buffalo, couple wheaties $7.00 in clad, lots of buried black coins, some were fresh droppings, neckerchiefs.

The local ball field, pulled out 2 Buffalo's, few wheats, custom jewelry, some are nice, a little bit soap & water with soft toothbrush they came clean very well.

The local ball field got 2 Buffalo nickels & some clad. All clad were black as black.

I still learning the unit, it takes time & i want to learn slowly get use to this machine before i go to a couple places where we found lots of silver coin's at other sites haven't been to yet.

Just like the PRO was a rookie the 1st few months, had place's to go you know you gonna find little bit of everything to learn the tones, etc. etc. Parks are good to go to, too learn the machine, in my case the scout camp top's the Parks.

Thank you for Reading. Happy Hunting.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page