any gold hounds on here? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

any gold hounds on here?

just started to play with a gold pan I got in a garage sale. who say's there is no gold in pa!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

they sure is! I need to get back at it. its been a couple years since I had the sluice box going. I need to explore some other likely areas.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 PM
The Man

I wouldn't say that I was a gold hound, but every time I go out west I do some panning. Also did some when I was in Alaska, I have a couple vials of dust that I've found. Mostly have garnets though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:42 PM
The Man

This thread brought to mind a memory for me. I was in Montana archery hunting for elk one year and was sitting at a vantage point at around 9,500 feet one afternoon to glass and eat lunch. After I finished eating and doing some glassing, I got to rooting around on the ground where I was sitting. I scratched up a dark yellowish rock that was a bit soft and pliable. The more I dug, the more I found. I had myself convinced that it was gold. Before I knew it, I had messed around for two hours there digging the stuff up. I had about half a zip lock sandwich baggie full of it.
I could hardly concentrate on hunting I was so excited about the prospect of it being gold. When I got out of the mountains, I stopped at a jeweler/gem store in town and had the guy take a look at it. He looked the stuff over and told me to stop back in a couple hours and he'd let me know.
I went and ate lunch and made plans on spending all the money I would have. Went back to the store and found out that it was mica (sp?).
I was disappointed of course, but have a neat memory.

The real find of the day was a petrified nautilus shell about the size of a quarter that I find while I was scratching around. Still blows my mind that a marine creature once existed there and I found it how many hundreds of thousands, or millions of years later up there at over 9,000 feet in elevation.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM
The Man

I've done a little panning here in PA to no avail. Just locally though. There are other areas that would be higher percentage tries. I just need to find the time to go there.

I also gathered up the materials to build a sluice many years back. All that stuff is still in a pile in my basement..............

Time...................

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of the largest gold nuggets ever found in the USA was found just outside Washington,DC in the Potomac river...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 PM
The Man

I believe the Reading/Lancaster area is known to have some placer gold deposits.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you really want to get into it check out the PA gold panners association. There is a chapter in Greenville.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:18 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by caxtell View Post
If you really want to get into it check out the PA gold panners association. There is a chapter in Greenville.
I'll do that.

Would also guess that the NW corner of the state (Yep......... Greenville) could hold some glacially deposited color. The overall geology of most of PA is not very conducive to finding much of anything. But I am sure there are little pockets here or there........

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Sage

I lived in Potter County for afew years and tried my hand at panning, but never found anything. I used to read up on gold in PA. There were some stories of gold being found back in the 1800's. Once story was about a guy that lived in or near Haneyville; that's up RT.44 where the Fin, Fur and Feather Trading Post is. It was said whenever he needed money, he would head off into the woods for afew days and always came back with some gold. Best people could figure he was panning it some where in the streams. Of course there were afew who tried following him but being a woodsman, he always lost them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page