Bottle Diggers ! Any here ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Bottle Diggers ! Any here ?

I did this for a long while and had a lot of bottles. I got tired of storing them and gave a bunch of them away.
All i have left are a few Milks,old sodas and bottles with animals cast in the glass.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

I used to hit old dump sites and save bottles but like you got tired of them sitting around.
Plus I have my beer can collection as well so not much room for a lot of bottles.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use to find some good ones, the best was a 3 sided wooded mold one , plus some turtle ink wells but being in the military and traveling and packing out a lot I got rid of them, here's a photo from the 70's of some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0075.jpg (284.8 KB, 52 views)

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

In my younger days I found several old dumps. and dug a bunch of bottles. I also found some wile hunting. I still collect but am very picky to avoid getting to many. I recently started collecting blob top bottles. There a little less common.
willyp, jimsdad and Retiredusne8 like this.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Back in the late 1960's, early 70's, me and my brother got into collecting old bottles and insulators, we got several of the old-timers in our area to take us to long forgotten dumps in the woods, when back then, families just dumped there garbage on the back side of their farm or properties. It was a lot of fun and the unique items we discovered along with the bottles. The stuff we found and left would be the items worth money nowadays. We had several outbuildings on the farm I grew up on and stored the bottles and old insulators there in boxes we got from the local liquor store, that way each bottle was protected from the others by the cardboard interweaving. As we each got older and moved a couple times after starting to raise families, we each started to thin our collections, I displayed in my home some of the more prominent ones from breweries, milk places, and businesses that were located in my area. These old bottles and the other items we unearthed were a great piece of history to see how people lived in the early 1900's. One medicine bottle had directions on it that said " Drink 1/4 bottle, if not relieved drink rest of bottle", and other medical bottles had amusing directions like that on them. I eventually sold my entire collection to an antique dealer, what was funny was a couple weeks after he purchased them, a relative was visiting from Texas and stopped at the house to show us the unique bottle from a company once located in the town, she had purchased from him, I asked her how much she paid and she said $35, I told her if she would of been here a few weeks earlier I would of gave it to her. Even today, while out scouting or hunting, if I see an old dump, I still spend some time browsing for what may be there.
jimsdad likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 AM

I don't collect anything except as much money as possible. Oh, sure I have some guns but they are a very eclectic group and that does not qualify in either numbers or specific genre. But if I were to collect anything, it would be in the glass bottle area. Such diversity within a specific area is neat and they do say something about the past. Kind of artistic too.
bigguy54 and Retiredusne8 like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:49 AM

Best I found was an old medicine bottle about the size of a patent medicine bottle that said "Worm Syrup" from the York Apothecary co. I had a bunch of dark blue glass, but as many found, most old bottles are worth the hassle to clean and store them.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I only dug bottles one time, found the dump while trying to metal detect(i'm a super rookie), but in a really nice area, private land very close to Brandywine battlefield area. I found one old bottle, looked like a wine or liquor bottle. Was imprinted on the bottle, something like "this bottle must be destroyed after use". I was told by someone, that right after prohibition, that any bottle that was sold with wine or liquor, it had that one there. Anyone ever hear of that?

We did find some interesting old bottles as well, a couple local dairy's, one was shaped exactly like a milk bottle, but was tiny, like a pint or half pint milk bottle, from H + H Dairy, Coatesville.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When working in North Carolina I got a lot. Brought 4 bins full to PA with me.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 PM

I have an Old Crow whiskey bottle that I found in an old dump near a old farm house site. I talked to a guy that grew up there in the early 50's and he relayed that the family would indeed dump all of their trash near an old creek bed out back. Sometime in the early 60's the family built a new house nearby and the local fire dept. came out and burned the old house and barn to the ground for training. This is now a pretty suburban area outside of Pittsburgh, hard to imagine it being a working farm now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in