Battlefield Row - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Battlefield Row

I travelled the I-64, I-295, I-95 corridor from Va.Beach to Fredericksburg this past weekend. I think of that jaunt as "Battlefield Row". Williamsburg, Richmond, Chickahominy, Cold Harbor, Chancellorville, Spotsylvania, Seven Pines, The Wilderness, Fredericksburg. Man the history there, and the relics that are still buried under that ground. I often think of what can be uncovered detecting these areas, though I know they're mostly off limits. Can you imagine those detectors lighting up in and around Gettysburg ? I'm sure the park service hired folks to detect the park, in order to uncover relics for posterity and museums. Lordy what must still be buried under that ground, not to mention what can be found as technology has expanded the range of modern detectors.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Re: Battlefield Row

My mind has been in the same place while driving the same areas! It is a travesty how much history is rotting in the ground and will never be viewed by millions in museums. I just recently had a major disagreement in Harrisburg over this topic. They were destroying a 900X100 strip to put in a parking lot. That strip happened to be located in a very famous Fort area loaded with history. Trees came down, topsoil piled up to be hauled away. I approached some people and asked to do some quick detecting(their project all happened in less than a week from start to finish!) and donate ALL items back to them. This was a 3 day attempt to gain permission, where I tried to plead with them and show them the errors of their way. Their attitudes were disgusting and all they could keep saying was "in no way will we ever allow detectors to be used here on our grounds". I thanked them for ruining the grounds, discarding all the history into dump trucks and left. I approached the trucking company to find out where that soil was going and sadly it was being used to fill in sinkholes in the surrounding areas, all on private property owned by the city of Harrisburg, a city who is also 100% NO GO with detectors. They even have a policy against it within city limits. Total disgrace. ok i'm off my soapbox

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, the folks you were trying to sway, probably watched those two buffoons on that detecting show they had a few years back. I forget the name of it, and think it's off TV now ? They'd hoop, holler, run and roll on the ground like idiots.

AHHHHHHH !!! AHHHHHHHH !!!! LOOOOOOOKKKKK. I FOUND A PULL TAB !!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
Their attitudes were disgusting and all they could keep saying was "in no way will we ever allow detectors to be used here on our grounds"
This is most likely because they fear that a significant find would delay their precious project. It happens.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:15 PM

I'll bet if they could figure out a way of taxing the chance of your finds of possible relics , they'd of rolled out the Red Carpet ...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Tax ? Heck, they can probably take ownership of it. You know, like how France/Spain, etc... tries to take ownership of 300 yr old gold found on the ocean floor ? Who the heck knows all the laws with things like this. Attorneys can muck it all up for sure.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 PM

I don't know much about projects like above ... but don't they have to do a study/dig before any construction ? I realize this dosen't help private guys like you.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Surveyor brings up a great point, I never thought of that. You find something with historical value, project stops, costing a bunch of money. I would agree with that 100%.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Most projects involving any earth disturbance permits generally are required to be reviewed by Pa Historical Museum Commission for above ground and potential for below ground resources. For private individuals I think the burden is on PHMC to prove it... for State agencies, penndot for example, PHMC makes the tax payers pay for studies, excavation and mitigation.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 PM

It is true that Preliminary studies are conducted on the surface prior to excavation. However, once the earth moving has begun, imagine how much easier it would be to uncover artifacts. I've been on sites where the initial study turned up nothing but after that agency left, things were recovered once the demolition work had begun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page