False reads? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

False reads?

My son got a metal detector for his birthday. It seems to work very well finding aluminum and iron. We have found lots of these items. Yesterday the detector said that we had discovered a coin. Nothing. No matter how deep we dug, it was dinging for a coin....but nothing there. Thoughts?

-=Demillo=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 09:49 AM

Re: False reads?

What brand of detector is it & model?

WILLY P
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Just a guess from experience , but it could of been a very large object buried much deeper . Lead has the same consistency as gold and is good to use for practice at locating gold . Just an example of a false reading . Aluminum has a complex metallurgy and can read as many different objects even in expensive detectors .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Its a bounty hunter quick silver. He's 8. Didn't want anything too expensive in case he didn't like it, and I've never done it before, lol. Finding it fun. Also, it measures to 6 inches. Would it find or pick up on something deeper than that?

-=Demillo=-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Depth is usually based on coin size objects . The bigger the metal , the deeper it will be detected to within reason .

The best way to test your nmew detector is to plant a Test Garden . Place object you hope to find in a row 4-5 inch deep and separated as to not interfere with the next object in the row . Make sure some of your Test items include a pull tab , aluminum foil , coin on edge , ring and for fun bury a metal pop can down 12 inches or so . Now , wet the row down well to settle the soil and try your testing in a couple days . Almost forgot ! Make VERY SURE the area of the Test Row is CLEAR of ANY metal objects BEFORE you plant your targets . Best of luck to you .
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 05:46 PM

As4X4 said Aluminium will give you false readings. Often times i had run on to old gum wrappers,of which were aluminium,but had been laying out for years and had fallen apart as i dug them,hence,a false reading?
Just keep at it! Coins will come and the fun gets better.
Take him to a play park where there are swings and look around them.

WILLY P
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 04:25 PM

Please also NEVER forget to ask for permission on private property and call your local Parks & Recreation office for their policy on metal detecting . Please practice grass plug cutting and place all soil on a towel or frizby then after locating your target return the soil and step on the plug so no one will ever know you were there . Some State & local parks only allow screwdriver plucking of targets . IMHO , a very messy policy .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Right now just checking private property. My in-laws have five acres and live in an 1859 farm house

-=Demillo=-
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dad
Please also NEVER forget to ask for permission on private property and call your local Parks & Recreation office for their policy on metal detecting . Please practice grass plug cutting and place all soil on a towel or frizby then after locating your target return the soil and step on the plug so no one will ever know you were there . Some State & local parks only allow screwdriver plucking of targets . IMHO , a very messy policy .
I also use a towel for the excess dirt. To the OP, when cutting the plug, instead of cutting a 4-sided plug and setting it aside, its usually a better practice to cut a 3-sided plug and just flip it over. There is less chance of any of the grass dying or turning brown, especially in dryer weather.

4x4, I agree with you on the State Parks regulation. I've tried it and felt guilty because it was such a mess. They should allow plugs, which when done properly, are virtually invisible.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Longie , thanks for clarifying the 3 sided grass plug . The screwdriver technique is why I no longer hunt our local state park . We detectorists get a bad enough wrap from the few rebel detectorists out there . We don't need to add to it from bad ( clueless ) policy makers . I always try to go above & beyond on conduct when I know I'm in the public eye . Also , never - never - never detect in National Forest ! ! ! I've heard the policies have been changed , but are so restricted that if you even pick up a 50 + year old coin ( 1960's ) off the ground with a detector in your hand you could be subjected to a fine .

I would give LINKS to many useful detectorists sites & laws , but my laptop is down , so I'm restricted to my tablet . Sorry ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page