New detector sniffs out some leftovers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

New detector sniffs out some leftovers

I took the plunge and bought a new Minelab CTX3030 and decided to take it over two of my hardest hit spots. Spots I had given up on due to lack of targets remaining and multiple trips with no digs. Well nothing terribly special, but it shows what my E-trac could see as all items were found in very small areas that i've gone over dozens of times before.
1891 indian head penny
wheat
buffalo nickel
gold inlayed tie tack
victorian era piece of jewelry
old lighter
blue eyed cat ring
oh and I eyeballed the dove decoy in the parking lot of the one spot

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Re: New detector sniffs out some leftovers

Minelab's are nice machines ! Congrads on your new purchace . Best of luck learning a new machine and to future hunts .
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dad
Minelab's are nice machines ! Congrads on your new purchace . Best of luck learning a new machine and to future hunts .
Thanks! Yeah the e-trac took me a few weeks to come to an understanding with, but that set me up nicely for the CTX. For anyone who would purchase an etrac or ctx3030, the best advice is to use the computer software to setup your patterns and settings. In three minutes I can custom a new program, upload it and go detecting. To do that with the screen on the machine........well I don't have that kind of patience

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice finds!

will hunt for food....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:14 AM

Wow 4c , that machine must be more advanced than I first thought ! Software programs ? Nice ! If you get the time , a general review of your machine would be great .
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

4X4, yeah this thing is sweet. You can link it to your pc with a usb cable and then make custom programs from the free software included. You can mix up discrimination, number of tones, ferrous vs conductive, channels, high trash, deep recovery etc... Then even more impressive, you can set the sounds for any area on the grid to specific tones you choose. In other words you could make a penny high, a dime a bit higher and then a quarter squeal as high as a pig, all while setting iron to grunt low. I believe it is something like 50 different sounds you can choose from, which really lets you put specific sounds in specific ranges and keeps you from even having to look at your screen to know what you may have swung over.
now, I will say, as cool as that is, I have already gone back to my favorite settings which is 2 tone ferrous. In iron range, it grunts. Above iron, it squeals. I then use my screen ID along with consistency of signal to decide whether to dig or pass. I like this because I don't discriminate anything out, I want to hear it ALL, all the time, so that the mercury dime below the iron nail still shows up instead of being masked by the iron grunt of the nail. Here are a couple more finds, nothing really special BUT keep in mind, they came from spots I hammered for years with other machines and other detectorists. The silvers screamed and the two silver and nickel spill was 9 inches deep under square nails. Still waiting on a new, virgin site to show up, but as long as I am still pulling silver from old washed up sites, I'm just fine with it!
This thing is basically an e-Trac on steroids, but my years with the etrac are really helping me to shorten the learning curve. I have 30hrs of detecting on it already and am far from even being "comfortable" with it. The etrac took me close to 500hrs until I felt 100% confident in what I was digging and that I was maximizing it's potential. No doubt, if a user hasn't ever used an advanced machine like the etrac, this CTX will take them a long time BUT it will be worth it in the end. Andy Sabisch wrote a book for each of these machines and they were my best investments.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:06 PM

To us detectorists , those finds ARE impressive finds in a hunted out site . Your descriptions of your machine's features bring back memories of when I first purchased my Whites XLT back in 1994 . Adjustable features are fantastic , but until you get the hang of the affects of each adjustment , you can get what I affectionately called FEATURE OVERLOAD . Mine can only store 4 custom programs . One of which is for a monster 25 inch coil that effectively turns inches of depth into feet . Unfortunately I have to get it serviced some time soon . The LED screen quit working after 20+ years of detecting . The great thing about having all of those adjustable features , is it's a machine that will grow with your experience long into the future .
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very nice stuff. Love my Whites MXT. I been hunting since 1972 and is my 3rd machine. All have paid for themselves.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow
Very nice stuff. Love my Whites MXT. I been hunting since 1972 and is my 3rd machine. All have paid for themselves.
Wow, I just researched the CTX3030 and was shocked by the price! However, seeing what 4c_game_chaser found in already hammered areas, I can see how that machine will pay for itself. One of the things that has kept me from taking the plunge was the fear that all good areas have been searched. I may have to rethink.

Hunting hobby ended, now I'm a fly fisherman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page