Beautiful Large Cent - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Beautiful Large Cent

I finally managed to get out yesterday for some metal detecting. Plan a didn't pan out so we moved onto plan b which was a 1948 home that i had detected about 2 or 3 times. we arrived and got permission an started. we each started and one end of the yard and worked towards the middle. when we arrived at the middle my friend decided he was going to hit the side yard and i thought i would keep going and finish out the back yard where he had detected. my first pass where he had just ended and i got 2 high tones followed by a mid tone. no matter which way i swung it was two high tones and a mid tone. i dug the hole and i couldn't locate it. so i filled the hole back in, rescaned and still got the signal but i was a little off on the first hole. so i popped out this round disc withe a bunch of dirt on it and i originally thought it was some sort of toy tractor tire because all the dirt on it made it appear real thick when it came out of the ground. i hit some of the dirt off of it and then i thought it was some good luck token. i swiped the dirt off t to try and read it and i saw one cent....oooof. i yelled to my buddy come here and check this out. he came over and i said i just found my first large cent! he goes your kidding i was just here not 5 minutes ago how the heck did i miss it!? i hadn't flipped it over and was trying to think first when they stopped making them but i was too excited i couldn't even remember. i flipped it over and tried to read the date. it said 1883. finally thinking clearly i said no that can't be the right date, thats indian head range. well the first two are for sure 18 and the last one is for sure 3. he ran to the car and got some water and we poured it on and could finally make out that it said 1833! my oldest coin by 65 years. he asked what that coin was doing in this neighborhood, so i showed him the old farmhouse that was about 100 yards away. still can't believe the detail on this thing. it looks like it was dropped in 1833. this coin couldn't have been circulated for very long. i also found 3 more wheats that i had missed and my buddy found his first wheat and his oldest coin yet, 1942. also i found what looked like an army pin of some sort. the womans husband who died several years ago was in ww2 so i asked her if he had any pins from deployment, and she responded yeah he had them but he gave them to the kids to play with in the yard. it came out of the yard with red and white cloth around it. i went to my grandparents and looked at his pins, and i found a match. it was the top bar for his pin that reads efficiency honor fidelity. i'm going to return it to her but i don't think she's very interested. she said that he never even had a picture taken with his pins on. but i'll try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM

Re: Beautiful Large Cent

Very nice large! They don't often come out that nice In PA soil. Congrats!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM

That is in good shape for our area. The ones i've found were so ruff it took a while to figure out what they were?
Good show.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Back in the day, they sure wasted a good bit of metal to make ONE stinkin penny. Nice.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page