Last night's hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
4c_game_chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax PA
Posts: 11,357
Back To Top
Last night's hunt

Well I think I hooked another little treasure hunter last night. Took my step daughter Mo along for a small one hour hunt in a nearby wood lot that in the past produced a civil war breastplate, far from where one should have been. Well, lightning may have struck again. Still need to do some research to confirm but we believe this to be a sword holder from the same era!!!! Along with some other junk and trinkets. This site is about 8 miles from Fort Halifax but other than that has no reason to have held these items that we know of....the breastplate was found three years ago by happenstance as I walked a wooded path to go visit my neighbor, swinging my detector as I walked. Turned out to be a great idea to do so. Breastplate was badly annihilated but a breastplate nonetheless. New finds and old plate below.






4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
4c_game_chaser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
kish75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: luzerne/columbia county
Posts: 748
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Looks like a great place!!! Is the long piece the trigger guard off a flintlock rifle???? Find the rest of that rifle!!

16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
kish75 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
4c_game_chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax PA
Posts: 11,357
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish75
Looks like a great place!!! Is the long piece the trigger guard off a flintlock rifle???? Find the rest of that rifle!!
wow, it might be! I wasn't looking at it like that, kept thinking a bent cabinet handle or something. Just texted the wife to tell her NOT to empty the trash can until I get home

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
4c_game_chaser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
kish75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: luzerne/columbia county
Posts: 748
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Check out this picture!!!


16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
kish75 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Retiredusne8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indiana County,PA.
Posts: 3,217
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Great Find
Is the item with PA on it an ear tag?

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Retiredusne8 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
4c_game_chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax PA
Posts: 11,357
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredusne8
Great Find
Is the item with PA on it an ear tag?
ya know, I have no idea, but that might be what it is! It has my neighbors last name and Halifax, PA on it along with the number "69" on the opposite side

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
4c_game_chaser is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
222Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 912
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Its amazing to me the number of harmonica reeds, like the one you found, are found. I found 2 near our deer camp in Potter Co. I would think a harmonica would be something that is well taken care of and not lost.
222Shooter is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
4c_game_chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax PA
Posts: 11,357
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Shooter
Its amazing to me the number of harmonica reeds, like the one you found, are found. I found 2 near our deer camp in Potter Co. I would think a harmonica would be something that is well taken care of and not lost.
Told my step daughter the same thing. I think I've found at least one at every old property we have ever detected, which number in the hundreds. it always fascinates me.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
4c_game_chaser is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 12,736
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

First thing I thought about looking at the pics was that was a trigger guard to a rifle as well!


Definitely worth looking around for the rest of a rifle!
mauser06 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
Night Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 660
Back To Top
Re: Last night's hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
Well I think I hooked another little treasure hunter last night. Took my step daughter Mo along for a small one hour hunt in a nearby wood lot that in the past produced a civil war breastplate, far from where one should have been. Well, lightning may have struck again. Still need to do some research to confirm but we believe this to be a sword holder from the same era!!!! Along with some other junk and trinkets. This site is about 8 miles from Fort Halifax but other than that has no reason to have held these items that we know of....the breastplate was found three years ago by happenstance as I walked a wooded path to go visit my neighbor, swinging my detector as I walked. Turned out to be a great idea to do so. Breastplate was badly annihilated but a breastplate nonetheless. New finds and old plate below.
That is very cool! I haven't been out this year yet and after reading this I am getting pumped!

"See What You've Been Missing"
www.NightEyesLights.com

Follow us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Night-Eyes-498362786925857/
Night Eyes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome