Recommendations on a new detector - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Recommendations on a new detector

I have been working with a garret ace 250 for a couple years and have found a lot with it. Old coins, rings, etc. I am mainly after old coins and don't intend on sticking my detector in any oceans. I was looking into either the Garrett AT pro or the minelab xterra something ( whatever the $600 one is). That is about as high as id care to go. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 AM

Re: Recommendations on a new detector

$600 is a good range for a great detector. Just stay with a known name brand. Look up reviews once you narrow your choices. Best of luck to you sir.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:16 AM

I would suggest going to KellyCo's website and reading the reviews of each machine in your price range. The At Pro is a nice all around machine and because it is waterproof, you wouldn't have to buy a cover or run to the vehicle if it were to start raining while you are out. That's one fallback to my e-trac, when it clouds up, I head for cover.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Regular Visitor

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I have the Ace 250 and loved it. But my youngest son kind of took it over. I was looking at the Garrett AT or the Whites M6. I went to the Kellyco page read the reviews and purchased the M6 it was 599 on a special. easy to use and it works great.

If you don't have time to do it right. When do you have time to do it again?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Garrett at pro I used it last 2 years and its a great detector. I will add the day i got it i wanted to throw it on the ground lol. It was hard to get use to even on standard mode. I dug my back yard up and it looked like someone bombed the heck out of it. I was finding rusty pipes, old steel cans etc.

Reading the reviews before i bought one. Sounded easy to operate. No its not. I am a fast learner and the pro kicked my butt. Took me 3 months get onto it. Then i went to pro mode. Oh boy back to square one learning the machine all over again.

If you get a pro, be patient it will take time to get use to the tones. The digital read out numbers are a plus too. The tones I listen for. Good luck...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys! I went with the AT Pro. Cubcadet, thanks for the heads up maybe the little thing I have going for me is I've used the Garrett 250 and so have some expirience at least with a Garret's. Well see haha. Thanks again
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM

I went from a Fisher F2 (still have it) to an AT Pro and would say it was a very easy transition. I mostly go by sound/tone and rely very little on vdi numbers. The discrimination/separation with the AT Pro is very good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:30 PM

I'm no detector dude, but are you guys saying that when you learn to "read" tones, then you won't even bother digging if it's a certain tone ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

1st once you get to know your machine you get use to the tones after digging everything. You learn the good tones what you want to dig. Clad penny, dime & silver dime and silver ring for example has the tone I will bend down to dig. Clad quarter, silver quarter, large silver rings slightly more louder tone. NO my detector does not tell me what exactly what it is but I know its worth digging.

2nd zinc pennies have the tone i skip over, same tone as brass, alum. soda can piece's for example. The nickle has the same tone as gold. You have to pay attention as i do with a good set of grey ghost head sets.

There was a few targets in the ground that sounded iffy, good tone and bad tone. Found silver coin with a bottle cap next to it. I will dig them tones too.

I'll dig a bad tone just to program my memory once in awhile. 99% of the time i can tell you what it is before i dug it. This only if you use the same detector year after year. If you go to another brand you have to learn that machine.

Another important issue I do so i can concentrate tones? Leave the cell phone home or in the vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page