lead roundball - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

lead roundball

The other day I took the metal detector out on a farm to see if I could find anything. There are 2 very very big oak trees out next to the fields. It looks like there was a farm lane or an old road that passed by these 2 trees. Not much I could find due to the high vegetation. I did find something interesting that has me wondering. It's a round lead ball. When I found it I thought it was just a .50 cal from a modern muzzleloader. But when I measured it at home it was .69. Does anybody have an idea what it could be. I'm not sure exactly how old the farm is. I do know it was around on an 1867 map I saw but beyond that I have no idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: lead roundball

Man, I just watched that show 'Diggers' a few days ago and they were searching for General Braddock's camps somewhere in western Pa. One of the guys found a lead ball that he showed to an expert at the end of the program. The expert measured it at .69 and he said that was proof that it was from one of Braddock's men's guns.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Today is brubincam's birthday!

you can still get 69 cal rifles & smoothbores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

I may be wrong, but it appears to still have a metallic lustre to it ? And picture 1 seems to have a flat spot, as if it came from a modern mold. Many modern roundballs seem to have that. I have about a dozen round and minie balls from the civil war, and every single one has that chalky oxidized outer look to them. Then again, maybe it's just how the picture looks.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Part of the Community

It looks like it does have an oxidize coating to me, also I have seem old roundballs with flat spots. .69 was a common caliber through the civil war. Are there any round indents on it where it looks other roundballs were pressed against it? If there are three close together it could be from a buck and ball load. if they are spread out it could be from a cannon load. Of course it could also have been shot singley. Was there any civil war or revolutionary war history in the area. If only it could talk.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 AM
Sage

Braddock's Bear camp featured on Diggers is on Rt 40 in Maryland. Just west of Keysers Ridge, MD.

There is a historical marker along Rt 40.

just a FYI.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If I remember right, 69 was a popular calibre with the union back during the civil war. And that flat spot comes from clipping the bullet. You poured lead into a single bullet mold, then when it hardened you opened the mold and clipped the top overflow portion off with the cutter on the mold handles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the responses and different ideas. I found this in union county so probably no chance of braddocks men. I was doing some research and found some interesting data. Nothing specific to the exact location though. There was a few skirmishes around the area with Indians in the late 1700s. The place I found the ball is real high with weeds.
I will be back there to try and locate some more. It's driving me crazy knowing it could be a really really old bullet....or not so old.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Part of the Community

It could be a early punkin ball fired from a paper 12 gauge?
They were a 69 caliber round ball, that kinda rattled down the barrel
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:10 PM
New Arrival

Union County is a treasure trove of indian relics, I have spent many hours searching for arrow heads and the like, there is a lot of information on the web about the many conflicts between settlers and the indians. I have found silver coins without a metal detector in stream beds. Keep looking I am sure you will find more.

NRA Life member
National Redbone Coonhound Association Life member
American Redbone Coonhound Association Life member
Pennsylvania Nite Hunters member
New York Houndsmen Conservation Association member
Present and past home of many very nice Redbone Coonhounds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page