so I found a rock... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

so I found a rock...

Walking the fields today I came across this rock....

I figured it was worth carrying out to wash off because it is completely out of place...I've looked at a LOT of rocks and there just aren't rocks like that in my fields...

While carrying it it naturally fell into my hand...indentations in it made it sit really naturally and comfortably between my thumb/pointer/middle fingers...

Coincidence it fits the hand so well AND is out of place??

Hard to tell but the "tip" sorta has wear...doesn't look like major use if so...

Pecking stone? Some other artifact? Or just a rock...that somehow ended up in the field where its as out of place as a piece of flint??

I'm still learning the ropes and got a longgggg way to go...but if it looks out of place or looks like it was worked I carry it out to wash it off... Only way to learn I reckon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Re: so I found a rock...

At one time the Laurentide glacier covered half of the North American continent. It carried a lot of material to places where such rocks wouldnt normally occur.

MAGA 2020
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Part of the Community

^^^ what DIYASUB said, find those "erractics" in fields all the time... what part of PA are you in?

very likely that rock was pushed here by glaciers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm I never thought of that...

I am in beaver county...

I'm used to "glacial till soil" up north...we don't see it here...clay...lots of shale..sandstone..
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

<please keep your comments family friendly >
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I know nothing about this stuff, so I donít know if itís an artifact or just a plain ole rockÖ..for all I know, Springer Rage may even be correct.

But looking at the detailed pics, Iím sure by now the DHS, DOJ, FBI and a host of other Federal alphabet agencies have scanned the pics and now have your fingerprints entered into their databases.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 PM
The Man

It's a piece of granite...One of my better axes are actually made of this rock.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

longie, no worries...they already have them!

Ken, after looking at MANY axes and other "hardstone" tools i realized that they arent made of sandstone...that "axe" i found last week is sandstone...i still feel like it is grooved by man...but now i question it as an axe...

this rock would be meaningless to me...IF there were others like it...but there arent..which made me wonder if it is an artifact...

im not the kinda guy that thinks every pebble is an artifact...but we all gained knowledge as kids by asking "why" and questioning everything...i never grew out of it...

when you look at millions of pieces of sandstone and shale all day and then find a piece of granite it makes me ask WHY..why is it there? why isnt there more?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
The Man

Odd because sandstone is not very durable at all....native Americans had a very extensive trading network where they would trade lithics, and some would end up far away from their source....An example is an orangish translucent point I found years ago locally....I took it to an epxert who identified it was a type of coral which originated in Florida..When I told him that I found it locally , he was not the least bit surprised.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Yes that's what makes me question my "preform Axe" after realizing all the "real" Axes are a hard stone like my stone in this post for example..granite you said it is...

I know the trading and traveling happened....

How'd a single granite stone end up in my field? Why? I will never know I guess...but that's what makes this so interesting...I still believe it to be a pecking stone...if there were a bunch of granite stones I'd never picked it up....but there is 1...well..was..lol..makes me think someone carried it there...10yds from the partial point I found...

My "Axe"... I don't know...I still feel like those are man made grooves...but its sandstone...someone on another forum said an arrow shaft abraider...but why a groove on each side lined up like they do and the same size??

My theory on the Axe...it was a Native American kid practicing lol...he proudly showed his dad and his dad laughed at his Axe because it wasn't the right material so he threw it down..he then threw his granite pecking stone in anger and then he shot his bow and blew up a point which I found half of...

That's my interpretation of the site! Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page