preform Axe? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

preform Axe?

Anyone wanna take a guess at this?? Today i Was walking a field where I found my first piece of flint a week or so ago...river cobble... Fire cracked rock..but can't find much else...on the way back from the truck I flipped this rock over just because it had "an Axe shape".

I about fell over when I saw the groove where they typically are...

Came home and rinsed it and there is another partial groove that matches the depth and shape on the opposite side...

Any thoughts??? Big coincidence? I have no idea... I thought it was worth carrying out to wash and ask y'all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 AM
The Man

Re: preform Axe?

Definitely has the right shape...I think you stumbled onto a great find...SO many times folks find stones and stuff that just naturally has the shape of a point or tool, but this thing is, in my guess, the real thing..Nice going!...I have found perhaps a dozen axes through the years, they aren't very common simply because they really stick out and most have probably been found already.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Ken! Was hoping you'd see it!

I kicked it on just a hunch..the shape kinda stood out..

To me...if I was going to make a stone Axe I'd start with a rock like that...has the shape and size..

To me its hard to imagine the grooves lining up like they do and being the same shape and depth like they are for it to be natural or a coincidence.. You can see the plow marks on it and I've looked at millions of plow marked rocks..they are all the same..not nearly as wide or deep...

Someone on another forum said maybe an abraider...googling that turned up similar grooves in stone and said course stone like mine was used on arrow shafts and such..but why one on each side and lined up like that??

My buddy I showed said "what came first? The grooves or the tip of the Axe?". I said i had no idea but you'd have to start somewhere..

The back near the grooves is pretty dang flat but I can't see evidence of it being ground or worked..but lots of rocks have a flat spot or can be broken to have a flat...and after all these years it would likely look like it does I would think..

The grooves also feel different than the rest of the rock and the plow marks...you can see the grooves are even a bit different colored...

I don't know I will ever know for sure...but I will keep it!

The river cobble and fire cracked rock is there...I can't find more flint though...today's find was literally within 15 yards or so of the flint I found last week...as is a couple pieces of river cobble and fire cracked rock...

Not sure what to think of the site...its a knoll/flat spot with a good creek below it..but the field stops 40yds or so back from the creek which is a 60-80ft bluff..maybe the main camp was closer to the bluff edge? Or higher up on the hill...

I love this stuff...I just wanna find MORE! Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:20 AM
The Man

Keep one thing in mind..>Where the creek is now,,,,is not necessarily where it was thousands of years ago...Bends can tell you a lot and guide you towards the actual location of ancient camps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

You are right on...I actually know this creek has been altered in some places to put in a major highway...

The bluff is steep enough you can't walk up or down it...but I don't think its bed rock...the creek could have been way farther from the bluff... Or has been cutting the bluff and could have erroded a lot over the years...I know the bottom across the creek..those fields are all 100yr flood plains..

I wanna hunt the far side just to see what's down there but it won't be plowed while I am here at home...

With all the development and such the creek is now mostly silt...there are some great gravel patches and bars I wanna look at...

My dad said his friend found a BIG blade or spear point in that creek years ago...but I'm not sure where..no one knows where he is so I can't ask him or go hunt with him and learn...he knows a bit..I remember we were all at turkey camp and he came back saying he found flint...but I didn't know what that meant at the time...

I just need to keep hunting and moving till I find a good spot...or...maybe I've found one? Not sure when my buddy will get it disced...I may not be home for it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page