how long? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

how long?

RockHounds....how long will you walk a field before you leave it...or that section of field...or that area?

My buddy talked to an ole timer and he said he'd walk 20hrs average till he found a piece...

To me that just sounds ridiculous...I walked minutes in Michigan and found more fire cracked rock and pieces than I could fill buckets with...

I just don't know how long I should spend in an area or section till I move on...

I know that's all subjective to how much and how well I cover ground...but I feel you should still find pieces of worked material somewhat often if youre in a decent field??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 11:43 PM

Re: how long?

If I'm finding flake, I'll hunt it longer. If I am not seeing any sign, I move on pretty quick.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bob...that's what I figured...

I need to keep at it and tune in the eyes...I'm sure there is a learning curve to hunting fields...once I start finding material I think I can move along better and "rule out" spots..

The farm I hunted twice I know for a fact produced at least 2 points found by accident..one by my buddy sitting on it and the other by my buddy tilling his moms garden...

I found what I think looking like old old charcoal in a few spots...and in places I am fairly certain no one had a fire for a very long time...hard to say for sure in a plowed field I guess..

In Michigan in the sand it was easy to spot material...you could see pot sherds and material and fire cracked rock from a ways away...it stood out laying on sand...I'm guessing once I key in on the material here I will be OK....right now I just gotta find some material!

Got another farm to hunt that was just plowed...if I can find material there I might quit lol...80ft highwall above a good creek...only access down to the creek is there as well...if there isn't material there to find I don't know where else to look...problem is the fields may be too far off the likely camp sites but hopefully not...the fields are 50yds or so off the highwall edge and that 50yds is nice and flat...so they may camped closer to the edge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Highwalls, at least in my interpretation, are the remnants of strip mining.

If that area had been stripped, do you think the soil on top now is the soil that was there 200+ years ago?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I could be wrong...but I don't think it was ever strip mined... This looks natural.. The creek just flows along the vertical wall..soil is good..lots of big oaks and cherries etc above the creek...creek also looks old

Maybe my highwall term is misused....but if you stand on the edge and look at you toes the creek is a good 60-100ft down...maybe bluff would be a better word...

I will pull old topos and see...but the age of some of the trees...if it was stripped I'd be surprised..

I know on the next farm downstream my buddy said they used to line up the whole family looking for artifacts..and they have piles of them...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Went to that spot...didn't get as much rain as I'd like..rocks plenty dirty still...but poked around a bit...

Went to a flat knoll closest to the bluff...

Found my first PA flint chip!!! Walked a few more feet and found a river cobble stone...

I marked the spot and will return! I would say the flint chip and river cobble are a very good sign!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why I didn't see it before....

But I am convinced now that it is part of a point!

In my pic the base is to the right..point to the left..edge is on the bottom.. Top of it in the pic(other side) is broken...and its a pretty thin "sliver".

A point in the works that fractured? Impact fracture? Not sure there is a way to know...but just one of the reasons it is awesome to find such things...

I was so convinced it was just a flake...I've learned " if you have to make it into something it is probably nothing". But I guess sometimes it doesn't just jump out at you....

Excited to get back there...but it needs a pretty serious rain...I still have another farm that hasn't been plowed yet too..and lots of others I haven't touched..

Wonder if it is easier or tougher after the field is disced and worked farther... Guessing every stage of the process has potential to unearth more artifacts...but good rains seek to really help...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page