anyone in the fields yet? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

anyone in the fields yet?

Has anyone started hunting for points and such in the fields??

Many of my buddies fields have been plowed...and we've gotten a decent bit of rain...I am thinking about heading out tomorrow for a walk if its not raining...

We got to talking about it tonight and he told me a bunch of places that he's heard tales of people finding buckets full through the years...one on his property..

Another in other fields he farms but hasn't plowed yet...its a spot I really wanna hit..good sized stream and a high wall above the creek...he said that the family used to hunt the top..I'm thinking the same for a camp site..the bottom is a flood plain and may or may not be good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: anyone in the fields yet?

So I walked for a half hour or so...I thought it might be a good spot...knoll of 2 valleys...I was groundhog hunting with my buddy and he literally sat on a beauty of a point 200yds down the one valley..

Didn't find anything...lots of shale plowed up in that spot..might be "too tough" for me to key in on with all the rock there..but maybe not..anything different stood out like a sore thumb...

Did find something odd...half moon about 3-4"..the "flat" of the moon was old broke..I thought maybe fire cracked rock..but both sides were completely flat..and almost looked like a landscape paver...I called it a "leaverite". I couldn't see sign of it ever being worked by man...

The fields got a ways to go..late start this year..

I am absolutely determined to find a point before in leave in May....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Just rained a bunch more...nice and cloudy and wet...going to see if the girlfriend will take a walk in the mud with me! She has an eye for finding things..when we are mushroom hunting she doubles everyone else regularly...

Probably stay on the same farm but maybe the other side of the valley today...

I watch videos and guys make it look silly easy...beautiful points laying on the dirt...some places seem to have a lot of white material which stands out...I think mine will be black or gray for the most part..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Nothing yet....but the girlfriend wasn't as into it as I hoped...

I found a hand sized piece I thought 10000% was going to be a flint tool...it caught my eye big time..turned out to be minerals or quartz or something clustered together..it was kinda light for its size...

Found an old trappers screen pan cover..

I saw he plowed some other fields I wanna walk..will head there next...don't know if I'm in the right or wrong spots...i feel like I should have found something after walking 2 hours or so...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
The Man

I found maybe one of my best broadpoints ever a few weeks ago...Plan on hitting it hard all through May
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Awesome!

Rain tomorrow...I will try to get some hunting in! My buddy started discing too..not sure if that helps or hurts...covers some..uncovers some..

There is an amazing amount of rock here..what I call sandstone and shale...though I'm not 1000% on my rocks yet lol...

Its making it difficult... Especially when things are dirty..

I watch videos and guys walk around on nice clean DIRT and pick up points like its nothing...they say they flip over anything that they see..if I flipped over every piece of rock I saw I wouldn't have to move but a step or 2 an hour lol...

Still poking around different areas but I found the piece...so you'd think there would be more to find there....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:14 PM
The Man

A point usually stands out as something "not typical" of all the other stones lying there...And yes, lots of rain is needed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

i think the rain will help a LOT for me....when all the rocks are dirty its just hard to spot much unless its a cleaner or its just screaming "POINT" in shape..

been a nice rain most of the day now...if it lets up i will head out! my work for the day is done...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:17 AM
The Man

One of my favorite times to hunt is right after the final snow melts...The winter really cleans things off.Much more so than summer rain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:19 AM
The Man

I'm glad that you have lots of plowed fields in your area...."No-till" has ruined a lot of my favorite locations and many,many artifacts will simply be buried forever !...A shame !...There are so many still out there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page