The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

The wife shot a buck!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Benny P 
#1 ·
Or so I hoped when I heard her shoot...

I don't have any tags left in our WMU so I put her in a brush lot/stream bottom stand of mine while I small game hunted the surrounding hillsides. I bumped up a few deer on a south facing slope and I could see one of them was a good buck. I waited for a shot, with childlike anticipation, as they headed towards her. It took about 10 minutes then BOOM!

"Perfect", I thought. She just started flintlock hunting last year and this was her first shot at a deer and I knew it could be a big one.

I waited and waited, then she texted me that 5 doe and 4 buck came through and she shot at the biggest one but was pretty sure she missed it.

When I got to her she told me she shot at it and it flinched but just stood there looking at her. She said she was afraid of moving for fear of scaring it off and she didn't reload (or think of it) until it left. I got a bit of a chuckle out of her excitement even though I was a little bit disappointed she didn't bag one. For her sake, and just to be sure, I tracked them through the brush for a hundred yards with no signs of injury.

Oh well, there's always next time.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.