The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Propane or electric stove at camp?

3K views 25 replies 26 participants last post by  Potter Co. Joe 
#1 ·
I have an electric stove at camp and a gas stove at home. I really don't like cooking on an electric stove. I was just wondering what type of stove everyone else uses at their camps?

#5 ·
I have gas at home and electric at camp. I really don't like cooking on electric.

Gas is so much nicer to cook with, especially when using cast iron, electric ranges are not cast iron friendly.

The oven/range at home will be going to camp as soon as I get the new one.

#8 ·
I had propane at the old place and gas at home but when we built the new one we decided on electric which I hate with a passion to cook on. It looks real nice being a flat top model but ugh I hate it. The main reason was we did not want to try and hide a 100 or bigger propane tank. But there is the gas grill so it gets a lot of use!

#10 ·
Home gas, Camp electric went with electric at camp there easy to find used and all you have to do is plug it in no worrying about hooking up a gas line and it really doesn't get used much most cooking at camp is outside on the grill the oven gets used when the kid wants a frozen pizza and the cook top for breakfast that's about it

#17 ·
as neurotic as I am about gas, I would take it over electric. We have power outages on a fairly frequent basis due to power lines down in wind, snow, sleet storms. Gas heat/cooking should be cheaper than gas.

And I love to cook on a gas range. A big plus is gas heat, don't have to worry about high electric bills and cutting wood for a wood stove.

Just my thoughts

#26 ·
I have electric at home and got use to cooking on it.
As far as camp we have propane.
Too many power outages up Potter co. to depend on electric.
We also installed a 35,000 btu vent less heater that runs on propane.
So if we loose power we still have a source of heat.
Our bigger heater is propane also, but fan forced.
So no electric and that one is no use.
I also pack a propane lantern just in case.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.