need help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windwalker7
  • 1 Post By Windwalker7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

need help

hey guys and girls, I'm really wanting to start videoing my hunts with myself and my kids but I am completely clueless as to what kind of equipment I need. I don't plan on making it big in the industry or anything like that so I don't need top of the line but I would like something that will record good quality videos. Can anyone suggest some cameras that would be good for what I need?? Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

First off, welcome to the club. It's a ton of fun for sure. Adds a whole new challenge to hunting.
I started off by making my own camera arm to mount an old JVC camera to. Here is a view of my camera arm:

I also have a mount made by GameStick that allows my to mount my phone. This gives a different look as well.

Took me 3 years to the day to get my first buck kill on film. There were a lot of mishaps along the way.

My best advice is start small/cheap and try it out. Go out and practice with it and know you are probably going to miss some chances at deer to get good at it. I'm still making mistakes. My first season i just captured footage of deer. then i started adding in other scenery. Once I got my first deer, I realized I didn't have a lot of good 'other' footage. Really depends on what you want to do with it. I tend to like to tell stories with the videos I put out now on my YT channel so I think in terms of what I can capture along the way.

This is my latest from Archery season.

Best of luck to you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone-mount-2.jpg (1.44 MB, 1 views)

Mathews Heli-M
Trophy Ridge Joker 3 Pin
QAD Ultra Rest
Soft Loc Quiver
Easton Axis 400
Rage Chisel tip
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:18 AM

It really depends on what you are able to spend on camera equipment. So I'm not sure what you want to spend. With that said, if you just want a decent camera, I'd recommend a Sony Handicam or one of the Smaller Canon video cameras. I have a whole arsenal of cameras and equipment. I still use Sony Handicams CX220 and a CX240 from time to time. My main camera is a Canon HF G30, tho.

One of the cameras I find that I really use a lot is my Go Pro Hero 7 Black. I love that camera. Great for interview style footage and worn on a headband to capture the action.

I also recommend a gun mounted camera of some sort, if you want the ability to capture the actual shot almost every time. I use a ShotKam or a Tactacam.

If you want your videos to be entertaining to others, you'll want an editing program to trim unwanted footage and blend clips together. I use Power Director 16, but there are lots of other programs out there.

As you can see, there is some money involved in starting this hobby. It becomes addictive, especially if you start posting stuff on YouTube.

I'd start with a smaller Sony Handicam or Canon camera and see how you like it, before investing more money. I picked up a used, new looking Sony Handicam CX240 for ebay for about $75.

Here is a video, from my YouTube channel, with various clips from different cameras, including trail cameras, showing different ways I use or get footage to make videos. This also shows how editing helps make the video entertaining.

https://youtu.be/pwLq6HXuJps
Pops423 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:26 AM

I put this video together several years ago. A lot of my equipment has changed but this would be pretty good for some tips on starting out. It's rather long but has a lot of information.
https://youtu.be/DIHQsa5-J1A
Pops423 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in