Self-Filming Hunts not so easy !!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Self-Filming Hunts not so easy !!!

Started trying my hand at self filming my hunts; both archery and also squirrel. Have identified two problems i'm having thus far: 1. Failure to remember to turn on the cameras. and 2. Failure to keep the camera on the animal once I fire.... I'm running two cameras right now; An ION AIR PRO LITE on a head mount. and my TACTACAM 4.0 mounted right to my firearm... Both record incredible footage ( when I remember to turn them on ), but I have the issue of lowering my firearm after the shot - so I can see where the animal goes. And I never seem to remember to turn them both on!
Anyone else have similar issues? LOL
45-70bpcr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 AM

well you are a step ahead of me. I`m still trying to decide what camera to buy to get video of my dogs & the birds we find.
btw, also still having trouble using my "smart" phone. in my opinion it is`nt so smart !

NRA life member
DU member
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

LOL... I don't even own a cell phone, not even a dumb one! Truthfully primer, the setup i'm running would work great for you. Pick yourself up a Tactacam 4.0 to mount right on your gun for the impact shots. ( They run about $300 - or Cheaper on Ebay ).... And pick up an Ion Air Pro Lite for the overall footage. ( they run about $25 on Ebay )... If I ran dogs, i'd set up a harness on my dog's back, then mount an Ion on it too.... Would be a really cool perspective!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Careful with the Ion's though; they are great cameras - Waterproof, easy to use, great footage, and all metal housing. BUT, where you screw them onto a tripod or any other mount - the threading is plastic - and can strip out easily if over tightened.... There are videos on youtube showing how to fix that issue though!
But hey, for $25 to $40, it's way worth the cash!!!! I plan to pick up a couple more before long!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 AM

thanks for the info. I`m not ready to get into it yet, still researching. I would like to see how you mount it to the gun & your head mount plus what results you have. I would like to be able to turn both on/off at the same time with the same switch if possible.
most important is , it HAS to be simple to operate.

add in my luck with electronic stuff is below par, ie: my phone has been back to verizon for various issues.
my daughter got me a Fit Bit for last Christmas, took her an hour to set it up as it would not "sync" for me, then died after 5 months.
they sent me a replacement & that one died after 4 months.
I also received the "alexa" by Amazon. took me 3 hours to set it up & still did not work.
called the tech line, spent an hour on the phone to have them tell me I must have a bad one, return it for another one.
NO WAY, send a refund ! also have had comcast tech at the house at least 5 times to get modem & or internet or TV to work.

I swear, old man Murphy (Murphy`s law) has it in for me when it comes to electronic junk !!!!!!

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Both cameras have instructional videos on youtube. But both are very simple to use as they both are "one button record" - which means; push one button on the Tactacam and it powers on and starts recording. and the Ion has one switch you slide forward that both turns it on and starts it recording.... Don't think there is any way to start them both at once however - though they do both have Wifi, so who knows.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know what you mean Majik Man I have a tactacam 4.0 and I just bought a Sony AX53 handycam with a zoom and 4th arrow camera arm ! I did pass on several bucks this year that I got on both the tactacam and the handycam ! but they both have to be edited and I don't know how to get a youtube account ! When I shot my buck this year he went down a trail I couldn't get the camera on and I forgot to turn on the tactacam....lol

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea, I've since figured out that I should turn on the cameras as soon as I see deer, not wait to see if they'll head my way first - because it seems that once they head my way, they tend to get there awfully fast! Besides, i'd rather have to edit through a bunch of footage than to have 0 footage to edit.... LOL.... But it really is hard to remember the cameras when faced with a target animal!
And for me personally, i'm having a hard time with keeping my Tactacam on the animal after the shot. I always want to lower the gun / crossbow and see where the animal goes.... I'm half thinking of either getting another ION AIR PRO LITE or a TACTACAM 4.0 WIDE to mount on a camera arm just to cover the whole scene ( providing I remember to turn them on ). I have a couple palm recorders, but i'm not very happy with their footage. I even bought one of those "China Made" HiDef recorders, which records good so long as you don't zoom past the optical zoom - The digital zoom makes everything look like crap!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I bought one of these this season for $40

I attached it under the bill of a camo ball cap over my shooting eye to see down the barrel. Worked ok with our goose hunting when you could see them coming in advance. I would not recommend it though. It requires pushing and holding one button for several seconds to turn it on then a 2nd button to start recording. Takes almost 14 seconds to get it recording :-(
Can't leave it in the ready mode as it powers itself off in about 2 minutes of inactivity, and low light recording is out of the question. I want one of the ion cameras that I wish I would have seen to begin with, but they are larger in diameter and not sure how they will work mounting the way I want. It is fun though catching your hunts when it works out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

45-70bpcr ; I've seen those on youtube while I was researching the action cameras, always wondered about their footage and ease of use? Honestly though, the best camera for capturing the "shot" would definitely be the Tactacam - even the 2.0 has 3x zoom if i'm not mistaken. And with the tactacam it's push button once and it powers on and starts recording! As for the Ion camera, I actually use the Tactacam head mount to wear it on the side of my hat. Right now I have my Tactacam mounted to my 30-06 for deer, and the Ion on my head mount. My son has his GoPro Session on his 308, and my other son is running his GoPro Clone ( china made ) on the 270 he's using....... And both of my son's ( and my wife ) have their own Ion Air Pro Lite cameras....
I'm thinking about doing a decent comparison video between the Tactacam - Ion - GoPro Session - and the GoPro Clone sometime after hunting season ends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page