Goals - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Goals

Instead of always hijacking JasonN's thread, I thought I'd start my own. I've seen with Octagon's thread how helpful a cheering section can be. I'm hoping you all will indulge me.

Here it is: I'm fat. I hate being fat. I'm tired of being fat. I started dieting a few months ago but kind of slipped for awhile. About a month and a half ago, I decided to retool and get back to it in earnest. I was 285 pounds (down from 297, my heaviest weight ever). I had little energy and was depressed. My joints hurt and I really hated how I looked. I've always been big. I have a barrel chest and was always what you'd call "corn fed". At my healthiest and when I was in great shape, I weighed 225 lbs. I ran 3-5 miles a day, lifted, exercised. I dare say I cut a pretty imposing figure at 6'1". So, I started dieting and exercising again. I was pushing my walks to the 4 mile mark but started having some serious pain in my hips and lower back. It got to the point I couldn't walk without pain. If I did a 4 mile walk, I was laid up for three or four days after. I went to a chiropractor and found out my pelvis was out of whack. My right leg was an inch and a half shorter that the left. Two sessions had me straightened out and pain free. I started mixing in some jogging with my 4 mile walks, increasing the distance each time. Tonight, I did a total of 5.5 miles. I walked the first three and managed to run the last 2.5. My leg muscles hurt like heck and I'll have difficulty walking tomorrow but I feel good about myself. I started using an app called "lose it". It helps track my caloric intake, calories burnt, etc. Its pretty cool. It has the dietary info on eleventeen thousand foods, brand name products and restaurant foods. If a brand name isn't in there, it has a bar code reader you can use that will enter it. It lists a bunch of activities and the amount of calories you can expect to burn. It even has hunting in it. You burn a lot of calories hunting, BTW. Its been really helpful. I've been losing 3-4 lbs a week. My joints don't hurt, my clothes are getting big and my mood is much better. This morning, I weighed 261 pounds. My goal is 220 right now. If the weight keeps coming off like it has been, I may go for 200. So, I hope you don't mind if I post here for the occasional affirmation.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 AM

Re: Goals

Congrats Bucket. Just remember be careful when you increase any component if your workout. Injuries slow your progress and momentum. Keep up the good work, the benefits are worth the effort.
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Congrats!! Keep on doing what you're doing!

BTW-Iffin I knew how big you are were, I'd never have busted on you about the no named camp so much.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCozhunter
Congrats!! Keep on doing what you're doing!

BTW-Iffin I knew how big you are were, I'd never have busted on you about the no named camp so much.
Hey, hopefully some day I can name it "Skinny's"

post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM

I think you should call it Pint Sized or Short Stack!

You're welcome for the memories!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

*whimper*...make it go away!

post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

The hip thing comes with the job. Years of carrying a duty belt. When my hip starts to bother me, I back off on the running, and do the elliptical or the bike. Good luck!!!!
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
*whimper*...make it go away!
Hahahahahaha!

On topic....it's good to have goals, especially achievable ones. Start small, work up to the final. Going for the gusto right out of the gate seldom works out as intended.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I did my 6 miles again tonight. I walked the first 2, ran the next 3.25, walked the next .25 (big, honkin hill) then ran the last 1/2 mile. Additionally, I had a 100 yard sprint at the end when the neighbor's basset hound started chasing me. Don't let those stubby legs fool you. They're natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!

post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Steve, great job man. Losing weight does so much good for the body and soul!! Keep it up the great work

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page