Walking for exercise... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Walking for exercise...

Well been dealing with high blood pressure since about early last year and i'll tell you what it's hard to change old habits,still working on it.Decided to start getting serious about this and stop using excuse after excuse for not doing something about it,so today i'm gonna start walking.Don't really know if this will help out or not but i have to start somewhere.If anyone has any advice on this subject please feel free to chime in.

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Re: Walking for exercise...

Sure, anything more than you're doing as far as exercise can't hurt. Start with walking. Take some short trips and you'll find out real quick how out of shape you are. I suspect after you start adding more distance and more terrain(hills) your health will improve. You may enjoy just the walking...you may wish to start jogging. Hiking is great alternative to just hoofing it down the sidewalk or road as well. Look up the 'couch to 5k(C25K)' program...it builds you up from nothing to light jogging to running a 5k. If nothing else it eases you into it instead of hammering away from day one.

Start small, don't go for the gusto right out of the gate though. If your joints bother you get a bike and start riding it....virtually no joint pain and the cardio is the benefit you're looking for.

Good luck in you quest. Here's some motivation that someone posted on my "I QUIT" thread in this forum: You can have excuses or results....not both! I think of that when I'm lacking motivation to go to the gym or just want to push my routine a little harder.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Sage

I take a forced march walk every day with my setter. I walk fast enough that he has to trot to keep up. I feel a lot better and it helps burn the calories.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Good advice Jason!

I was able to get off high Blood meds doing the same. I did a few things in addition as well.

1. I eliminated adding salt to any of my cooking and food. (plenty already in any canned goods)
2. Virtually cut out all processed meats. i.e. deli meats
3. Switched to whole grain foods.

Due to bad hips, knees etc. I can no longer jog, so I hike and walk. This year, I will probably get into moutain biking. (maybe as early as Turkey Season)

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Mountain biking changed my life! It got me off the couch and actually enjoying exercise....that morphed into a whole lot more as far as fitness goes. You'll enjoy enjoy it!

Sent you PM as well.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Well went for a 3 mile walk and it felt great,a few small hills and yes i got winded but kept on going,was a bit on the chilly side but not to bad.

rich battistoni
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Sage

I"ll be glad when the weather gets straightened around and I can get back into walking regularly, I miss my walking.......
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM

I do weight watchers and walk a ton. The only thing I won`t walk in is lightening and thunder!! Deathly afraid of it as long as I can remember

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM

You should try it....it's electrifying!

Sorry, that was terrible....I just couldn't stop myself!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Everyone started somewhere...walking is as good a way as anything.

As for the sore joints, 6 months ago I never would have thought I would be running today. My knees were bad, my ankles would get sore from any little activity. I started walking and SLOWLY increased the intensity and a little running. Once I got to where I could do something without it hurting the next day, I would add a little more. I now run 3 miles every morning and I can't tell you how much better my knees and ankles feel. I can now stand up and start walking without a couple gimpy steps. I know not everyone is the same, but I blame my sore joints on lack of use...the key is to get into it slowly.

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page