Runners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Runners

Any runners on this site? If so, how often do you get out? I try to get out at least 4 days a week - almost always in the dark

It seems to be more like a chore this time of year. I used to hike a lot, but with busy schedules, full-time jobs, and kids, running seems like the only possible way to stay in shape any more. Guess I'm just looking for some moral support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Runners

When I'm in the running mode, I run 3 times a week, with Sunday being my long day. I usually don't run much during hunting season though. Right now I'm running once a week and doing the elliptical 2 times a week.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

I am at my local high school 3 nights a week with my son for his wrestling practices. So I hit the track around the football field for 30-45 mins on those nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM

I wish I could!! With my neck surgery a couple of years ago I just fast walk my butt off.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nothing wrong with fast walking! The most important thing is to be doing something. Sometimes I think exercise is as much for getting rid of anxiety as it is for anything else.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 PM

I'm in the runners club too. I'm relatively new but now that I've gotten my first injury, I call myself a runner. I started in July of 2011. I've learned a lot and lost a pile of weight. I've done six 5K's, a 5 miler, a 10 mile trail race, and a half mara. I was fine until the half. I developed patellar tendonitis and I've been fighting my way back since then. My wife and I have a 5K on New Years eve coming up. I've really grown to enjoy running and i'm already picking races to do next year. The stress relief that was mentioned is true. Before I started my taper prior to the half, I was up to 11 miles for long runs. After running 11 miles, I wasn't worried about much except finding some post run fuel ! It helps to have a spouse that runs too. I never would have started if mine wasn't already running. I of course went through the new runner phase and spent way too much time talking about it. She always brought me back down to earth. I haven't tried running in the dark yet. My schedule is somewhat flexible so I can find time after work usually plus weekends. We have a gym membership too. I admit to hating the dreadmill. I was there this afternoon on the elliptical. The neat thing is that a few of the machines face a wall of windows overlooking a small pond. I've seen ducks there in the past but I saw a muskrat today.If any of your kids are old enough, you could try involving them. Our daughter is 9. While she hasn't started running regularly yet, she has done a number of 1/2 and 1 mile kids runs. She did all four in a series this Summer. Our 12 year old son has NO interest in running at all. If you have a very young kid you could try getting a jogging stroller. Telling your wife that you're taking the kid out for a run won't usually get a negative response.

"Into every generation a slayer is born... a chosen one."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

That is good advice to involve your kids. When my middle son was about 12-13 he started running with me. I would have to throttle back , so we could stay together, and he would struggle to do a 10:30 min. Mile. Now he's 19, and he can run circles around me. It's really awesome watching him progress . Matter of fact we did. 4 miler together today . He's home for college break, and it's the first time we ran together for awhile.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampHollow
Nothing wrong with fast walking!
I was a runner up to age 47. Now I'm a walker. And I love it.

IMHO, if you are going to run and you're middle aged, you need to be quite serious about stretching and flexibility work. Or you can get yourself into trouble with injuries. I found this out the hard way.

If you don't have good flexibility, your gait can be messed up, and that can cause all kinds of injuries from running.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampHollow
Nothing wrong with fast walking!
I was a runner up to age 47. Now I'm a walker. And I love it.

IMHO, if you are going to run and you're middle aged, you need to be quite serious about stretching and flexibility work. Or you can get yourself into trouble with injuries. I found this out the hard way.

If you don't have good flexibility, your gait can be messed up, and that can cause all kinds of injuries from running.
I totally agree with the stretching and flexibility aspect. I'll be 42 in January. What got me into trouble was not doing any strength training. Maybe I was lazy or just thinking I was 20 years younger but, I just didn't do it. Big mistake ! Now in addition to stretching ( and using a foam roller), I'm working on building muscle and doing a lot of hip and quad work to stabilize everything.

"Into every generation a slayer is born... a chosen one."
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 PM

I have been running on the treadmill for a couple months now. 5 days a week, 30 min a day. I used to run many years ago, but it gave me a lot of trouble with my knees and shins. I have been pain free since I started running on my treadmill, but 1 day running on the road and it made me sore. My treadmill must have just enough bounce to relieve the stress.

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page