Fitness Supplement Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Fitness Supplement Thread

Just curious what kind of supplements, if any, you guys are taking as part of your fitness plan.

I know this can be a controversial topic among some when it comes to this sort of thing.

Some feel all that is needed is a good diet plan and what comes off the shelf from the local grocery store. Others, like myself, feel that there are things on the market today that can help you reach your goals faster and enhance your workouts.

I do not consider myself a big time supplement guy by any means , but two things that have been working well for me so far is Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 and Cellucor C4 Extreme.
Amp 60 is considered a post workout protein drink that has 60 grams of protein per serving. It is rather expensive and lasts me about a month.
C4 is used before my workouts for energy and really seems to do the job.

I have tried other products but these two have seemed to work the best for me so far.

Just wondering what some of you guys are using or not using and what your diets are like during the course of a day ?

I know entering the world of supplements can be a little expensive, but for me, instead of buying beer or going to the bar for wing night, I am spending my money at GNC.

Anyhow, I thought starting a thread on this could be beneficial to some and maybe I could learn a thing or two as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
The Man

Re: Fitness Supplement Thread

First off....my advice prior to ANY fitness supplements is
---<span style="font-weight: bold"> go to a REGISTERED dietician....and donate your blood and urine...from there THEY will determine what you are lacking in your diet to achive your goals..</span>.and I'll bet you're you don't need 3/4 of the suppliments you're spending your money on....... plus your kidneys will thank you later.

the last blood/urine test I had was around 2002/01....my protien and testosterone levels were the same as when I had the test done in '94.....they both are above by 2 points the "high" level mark...I ignored all the facts ... the shakes that I drank 2 times a day, before and after my training rides or races on week ends exceeded 200 fold to what my body needed.......and we all know what happens in our kidneys when there is an overload of protien and carbs that your body does not "use".

....just my .01 worth of info.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

limbhnger10,
I have not found any scientific studies that show takeing whey protien after a workout does any damage to your kidneys. I am not sure if you a referrig to kidney stones or all out kidney failure, but I am pretty sure whey protien is safe.
If you are a person who already has renal issues I can see the possiblity of it being harmful, but if you have an existing condition, so can many other things that can be part of a persons normal diet.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM
The Man

Steelhead....I hate to send someone to a "cycling" website...especially when very few use it(cycling).
..but this. WHEY PROTIEN........
..and a REAL DOCTOR/and DIETICIAN will confirm.....not a GNC "scientist"........I've looked through dozens of medical studies back in 2005 after my stones...and confirmed by my doctors.......protien (and I was taking a product called Metabolul)....was the cause of my kidney issues

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I am in the health field and spend a great deal of time working in urology. There are also many hours a week that I am in the operating room watching kidney stones being broken up because they were too big for the patient to pass. Most of the patients are older, obese, and unhealthy.
So many people use whey protein these days and the ones I see with kidney stone issues do not fit the profile of a gym rat. I never heard of the other supplement you took, but if it was a testosterone builder, that may have been what led to your stones.
Next time I work in urology I will have to ask some of the docs what they think.

Like I said, supplements can be a controversial issue to many.

Maybe someone else will have something to add to the debate.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Just read your link and at first glance it does seem alarming, but it does not really tell what is an excessive amount. I am going to do some more of my own research and check and see what some of the doctors I work with have to say about it.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
The Man

...I was neither fat or obese ...or unhealthy....
6'...185# ..... 6% body fat.... endurance athlete..and that is where most issues come up "faster"......

...and like I said...don't have a prob. with someone using suppliments.....just to go through the correct channels...get the blood/urine work...and adjust from there.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
The Man

My bad man. Did not mean to project that comment towards you.

Hopefully we can get some more opinions on the subject. I would like to hear what some other people think about it.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM
The Man

....I know.....I'm gonna go run on the tread mill

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
dce
Sage

Over the past few years,I've seen some young kids taking a now banned substance called xtren.I've never seen anything work like that stuff.It's obviously bad however.I've seen these guys get huge and strong in just a couple of months.Unfortunately,they loose it almost as fast as they put it on once they stop using it.

I've never taken anything but wouldn't mind taking a testosterone booster if I found one that didn't scare me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page