YMCA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

YMCA

I am thinking of joining. Is anyone a member near Pittsburgh? Supposidly there is one on Church Rd in Bethel Park, if not there is one in Pleasant Hills near the cloverleaf and one on McMurray Rd in USC. What is your opinion of them and what does it cost to be a member? Thanks.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Nes

Re: YMCA

I have 2 about 20 miles in each direction from me. I just joined 2 months ago and can't say enough good about the one in Ridgway. They offer individual workout opportunities such as the resistance machines, treadmills, excersise bikes, and free weights. Also group exercises such as yoga, boot camp (aerobics), Zumba, Les mills body pump, and water aerobis. Ours has a swimming pool. Rates vary but I think an individual membership here with automatic withdrawal is $21 a month. The longer and easier the commitment the cheaper it is. Your not likely getting into a gym for any where near what you can the Y (around here anyhow). A lot of great freindly people in the workout classes. If you are a member you can also attend other YMCA's but check the limitations. Here is a link to the YMCA I attend. Click the tags to see your options. http://www.ymcaridgway.com/fitnessClasses.html

Here is body pump. I am sure you can do it. I am headed there shortly. nice scenery too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA5tOwnrmJs

You asked the other day about a scale. I check out Ebay. Good place to get one for us little guys. Watch the weight rating. Not that you need one that high but there are some rated for 440#. Search "bathroom scale 440"

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
The Man

I started taking classes at my local YMCA, basically as budget physical therapy for a bad case of lower back pain and sciatica. I got tremendous benefits, and at a very reasonable price. Much lower than the cost of gyms.

The classes I took were Pilates and yoga, which are good for flexibility, stretching, etc. This is a very important, but usually overlooked aspect of fitness.

+1 for YMCA. At least in our area.

You might want to just sign up for one class. Then decide if you want to sign up for the membership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Huge fan of the YMCA- my wife and I belong. She takes the Yoga classes and loves them. They are a good organization. I lift weights and then burn 500 calories for 35 minutes on the elliptical.

They have a program for reduced rates if the combined household income is less than a certain amount.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Sage

The Y is rather expensive in my opinion.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy
The Y is rather expensive in my opinion.
Nes sais he is paying $21 a month where he lives. In Pittsburgh, they range from $38-$55 a month. Holy cow, that`s as much as the big name places. I thought the Y was the budget guys gym and pool place? I can join LA Fitness for that much!!

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Nes

Make sure you get all the rates from them. The monthly plan for all their rate. Ours is also a small communtity setting the gets donations. The YMCA in Dubois is $35.25 band is a fairly new facility. Monthly deductions from checking or annual fees are usually less.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Jack, don't know how far you are from Washington, but the Cameron Wellness Center is $65 per month. No hidden fees, not extra costs. They have a pool, all the machines/free weights you could want, and all the classes you could ask for. You get some 1 on 1 with a professional when you join to help you with a program to meet your goals. My wife and I searched a lot of places last year and really liked this facility.

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
The Man

I belong to Snap Fitness in Greensburg. I think it is like $39 a month, so it is a little pricey. Also, it is not a very big gym so I have noticed at times the weight area can get a little crowded. I try to go later in the evening when it is not as bad.
There is alot of cardio equipment though and it is a very clean gym. Plus it is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
The Man

I belong to the Y in Allegheny Twp. It is pretty clean and about $37 a month. They have alot of cardio eqpt and the weight selection is good for me. I don't use free weights at all anymore after a ruptured shoulder tendon and torn bicep muscle. So all the machines are what I like. My only gripe is all the Silver Slippers programs they have going on. If you go in the morning. it is a zoo and parking is very limited.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page