Had Cataract Surgery Today - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I get both my eyes done next month. I’ve wore contact lenses for the last 20+ years....I’m really excited about ditching the contacts after the lens implant. These last 2 hunting seasons have been a struggle with my vision, my eyesight for many years was better than 20/20. Last season my wife was seeing deer before I spotted them. That’s bad. I’m going moose hunting again this year and this hunt is all about glassing....spot one a mile or two out and go after them. In the past, I could always find as many or more bulls as my guide did. If I didn’t get my vision fixed, I’d have to bring my wife along to help find me a moose.
Now that's one of the best reason I've heard yet for getting it done!! Best of luck Bigbrownie!
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Maybe you will be able to see that there was no evidence of collusion?

Hope you see an improvement. I didn't think you chased those racks much anymore. I thought you were too busy fishing.
Reason I haven't been chasing them much I couldn't see them! On the fishing side....I should be able to read my fishfinder better so make room freezer!! lol
bohunr and cspot like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Its been almost 2 years since I had mine done and it came out great. Hardest part about it was putting in all those stupid drops.
When they did the first eye the day it was done I saw slight improvement but by 24 hrs after vision got brighter and clearer by the hour. Colors were so vivid I thought I got a new TV.

I only had the single vision lens put in because the surgeon said if I did need glasses to read I could get cheaters from CVS. By the end of the 2nd day I wished I could get the second eye done then instead of waiting 5 weeks.
Bad thing was I was restricted with boat activities since they didn't want me bouncing or getting the eye wet in salt water for 3 weeks and by then it was almost time to get the other one done.
Now I can read without cheaters 99% of the time, am able to buy off the shelf Polaroid sun glasses, those LED car headlights do not blind me at night and I can read all the fish finders/GPS and radar anytime with out glasses.

I sort of thought the hazy vision was just part of the growing old curse, and it sneaks up on you but once its corrected you realize how bad it really was.

Good Luck
bohunr, Loggy and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
I get both my eyes done next month. Iíve wore contact lenses for the last 20+ years....Iím really excited about ditching the contacts after the lens implant. These last 2 hunting seasons have been a struggle with my vision, my eyesight for many years was better than 20/20. Last season my wife was seeing deer before I spotted them. Thatís bad. Iím going moose hunting again this year and this hunt is all about glassing....spot one a mile or two out and go after them. In the past, I could always find as many or more bulls as my guide did. If I didnít get my vision fixed, Iíd have to bring my wife along to help find me a moose.
Brownie, I have 20/15 left eye and 20/20 right since the surgery. Need drug store reading glasses for close up but normal and far distances like when I was 20.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I had extensive discussions with my opthamologist plus did some research re: monofocal vs the newer multifocal lenses. He left decision totally up to me plus my insurance fully covered both. He leaned more to the monofocal if wearing glasses wasn't burdensome to me. As I've worn specs for over 58 years...no big whup to me plus the new polycarbonite lenses in glasses are light as a feather, crystal sharp plus durable far better than plastic or glass..

They're still studying the newer multifocal as some patients are experiencing problems with decreases in far vision & increases in short and visa versa over time.. Also, the multifocal(in some) suffer with side effects that can make vision troublesome. In a study published by Cochrane, researchers found that people with multifocal lenses were also more likely to deal with glare and halos than people who had monofocal lenses. These issues can make driving at night difficult, as the lights from ongoing cars can leave such a big impact that it can be hard to see other items.

WW has had great success so the problems certainly not universal but I'm at the age I only wanted to deal with this once plus have high confidence in my opthamologist.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 06-07-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Sage

I had one of the best eye surgeons in the area, I discussed the mono focus and the multi focus and what each would do. He told me that some people may have to get two pairs of glasses with the mono focus lenses to cover all the distances. I wanted to be able to shoot both handguns and long guns without needing to wear glasses and I did not want to go from needing one pair of glasses to maybe having to carry two pairs. Since I was going to get lens implants anyway, I decided to get the multi focus and I am glad I did. I still qualify with a handgun annually in order to have the authority to carry nationally. Shooting a hand gun using bifocals is a royal pain in the azz. I now need no glasses to shoot handgun, rifle, shotgun or crossbow. This was the first year since I was in my early thirties I fired a qualification course, over 90 percent by the way, with no prescription glasses. Pretty good for a geezer. Of course I wear non prescription shooting glasses. I do have a halo at night when driving around bright lights, it didn't take long for it to stop bothering me. I spoke to the DR abut it and found it is because there are concentric rings running around the lenses to make them multi focus. Everyone has to do what they believe is best for them, as for me, I have not seen this well since I was in my 20's and for the first time since I was 30 I hunted without prescription glasses and I no longer have to worry about my glasses fogging up when coming from the hot outside to the conditioned inside and vice versa. I hope yours work out as well for you as mine did.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:39 PM

I have to go without my contacts ( wear glasses) for the next two weeks....they need to get an exact measure for the needed lens. Somehow wearing contacts everyday gives them a distorted reading on lens strength.

I wonder if this procedure will become something folks do to avoid wearing glasses or contacts. ( like Lasik surgery ). I never was a candidate for Lasik surgery as I have a plus 2.75 correction. Typically people who got the surgery had minus numbers for corrections. Two of my kids got LASIK ten years ago.

My mother in law, who is 80, just had cataract surgery last month, and came out of it not wearing glasses ( wore them 60 years ). She missed having glasses on her face and went and had clear lens put in her old frames. Go figure!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Sage

Don't forget your eyedrops!!

wmu 3A
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
I have to go without my contacts ( wear glasses) for the next two weeks....they need to get an exact measure for the needed lens. Somehow wearing contacts everyday gives them a distorted reading on lens strength.

I wonder if this procedure will become something folks do to avoid wearing glasses or contacts. ( like Lasik surgery ). I never was a candidate for Lasik surgery as I have a plus 2.75 correction. Typically people who got the surgery had minus numbers for corrections. Two of my kids got LASIK ten years ago.

My mother in law, who is 80, just had cataract surgery last month, and came out of it not wearing glasses ( wore them 60 years ). She missed having glasses on her face and went and had clear lens put in her old frames. Go figure!
Yes - they call it refractive lens exchange. It's not covered by insurance, and about 9K total vs 4.5K for Lasik around Philly. I went with Lasik - had the +2.75 and my eye was made more conical. The Dr told me to do this first, and wait a few year for RLE to get better and the multifocals to improve (the 3 focused distance/near lens are certified in the UK already). We'll see.... One Dr said do RLE - 30 year prob of not having to do anything with RLE , and the other did my lasik. Both family friends, and happy so far. I am 50, another reason they said wait on the RLE. Halos went away for me, some dryness after 6 months. But heck, if I follow their follow up process it is free enhancements and I believe will only get better with time (both procedures)
bohunr, Loggy and Bigbrownie like this.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscIgtDJFXg

Don't forget your eyedrops!!
Yep!! A lot of ophthalmologists are prescribing a 3 drop blend vs the old 3 separate drop route. I used the blend for both pre & post operation.
bohunr likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page