Heart rate - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Smile Heart rate

Doctor told me to monitor blood pressure and pulse rate a few times a day and keep a log. Found some strange things. Mornings after I am up and around, but not really working at anything the BP is ok hovers around 138 / 76 with a pulse in the upper 50's. Around noon, I usually sit and watch the news and weather. I measure at the end of the news before I go back to working. BP then hovers around 150/80 and pulse hovers around 50. (yeah, sometimes in the upper 40's. ) Late afternoon the BP reaches it's height, hovers in upper 150's/80 and pulse is up to upper 60's. Now I am told the pulse rate is too low and something may need to be done about it. Here all this time, I thought a low pulse rate (above zero of course) was a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Guy I hunt with had a issue with low heart rate. He, and so was I under the impression slow was good. My resting heart rate is around 62 with normal activity around 68.
He didnt have any symptoms other than he said he was aware he had a strong but slow beat and several times felt light headed.
He mentioned it to his doctor during a physical and they called it bradycardia???spelling, and in his case he had to wear a 24-hour monitor.
His problem was related to the electrical impulse of his heart. They did a procedure similar to categorization where they passed a scope up his groin into the chamber of his heart and did a cardiac ablation where it altered the electrical spark in the heart.
The doctors told him this is much more common for very high beating heart rates.

He was fine now and was back to working and doing everything he did before with in a few weeks.
He was 60 when he had the procedure and just turned 74.

Maybe you should stop watching the news

Good Luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:57 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I would guess the high BP coupled with the low heart rate is the main cause for concern.

I have a resting heart rate of 42-48. Walking around/general waking activity HR of mid-60’s.

I’m 43.

I also have run over 200 miles in 2019 and cycled about 1000 miles. That’s why my HR is what it is.

Take away the activity and add in high blood pressure and the low HR does cause some concern for the docs, I think.

Olympic class endurance athletes have RHR’s in the 30’s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Just did the 24 hour heart monitor and the results were heart rate stayed in the 50's most of the time with sometimes dipping into the upper 40's. Highest during the period was about 3 pm with a rate of 113. It was only that high for a few minutes and dropped back to the 60's within a few minutes. That might have been when I went out to fill the water troughs and had to drag the hose around. Mrs. is a nurse and strongly suspects folks did believe me or her when we said the rate dropped into the 40's. For a 68 yr old I thought that was good, but apparently it might not be. The thing did show some early beats on a regular basis. Apparently that is also a problem, but at least no evidence of Afib was found.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

How is your blood pressure?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My daughter is a head Orthopedic Nurse at a well Know Philly hospital.
One ting she always stresses is to not pay attention to the news medical segments and not to research any symptoms
on the computer, she would tell me, when in doubt see your Doctor.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

BP runs about 130 over 75. lower in morning and higher in late afternoon, but rarely as high as 140 over 85 About 30 years ago, Usually right on the edge between normal and high.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Thatís likely a red flag. Thatís still slightly high, and they recently lowered the threshold values for hypertension.

Low HR with higher BP is a worry. The rhythm irregularities are too.

As noted, the doc is who you want to talk to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page