To help or not - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

To help or not

I have a few guys that are new to my gym that have been coming around the same time lately. One is new to this the other (from what he stated) was an old gym guy who has been off for years via an injury.
They work out together and there are so many things I see wrong with form, theory, etc in what they are doing. And they are really hurting themselves more than helping. The guy who is new to this seems to like to pick my brain anytime the other guy isn't around. I love helping people and he seems to listen to the tips I give him when he asks.
I am trying not to make the other guy mad, but I am thinking about asking the other guy if he would just like me to train him..
Do I mind my business and just answer questions when he asks and watch him get hurt, or do I just offer the help at this point.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 11:52 AM

First thing ? Are you qualified as a trainer ?

WILLY P
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Well from a legal standpoint there are no qualifications needed like with a lawyer or anything.
But as far as I'm concerned I feel I am more than qualified. Not many people are in the kind of shape I'm in. Without drugs I would say 99% aren't in my kind of shape and I haven't always been lean so I have learned the hard way. My step son is also in his second year in a physician program in college and still asked me when he can't figure something out.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM

You answered your own question sir .

WILLY P
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I think I will offer to help. I just know how it goes sometimes hopefully it's all for the better

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

There are absolutely “legal” qualifications to be a personal trainer. And exams to prove competence and a very specific scope of practice ( what you can and cannot do”
Anyone can think they are a trainer but if someone takes your advice and gets hurt the next question will be are you a certified trainer and by whom. The answer will be.... but your honor.....

Just my .02

My guns are not worth your life; but my freedom and liberty are worth mine
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I should have said if I was charging him. I thought it was clear I just wanted to help out. And yes this is America anyone can sue for anything.
willyp likes this.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Accountability has nothing to do with whether you are charging someone or not. As long as you realize the risk and you are comfortable with it then the decision is yours.
Same as choosing to wear a safety harness, or not, when in a tree stand.

My guns are not worth your life; but my freedom and liberty are worth mine
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 AM
The Man

If it were me, I would gladly answer any question that was presented to me, but beyond that I would mind my own business. When I was working out a lot, I always had some exercises that were the ones I preferred to do and there was always someone telling me what I "should" have been doing instead. Most folks go to the gym to have a workout, clear their mind and whatever else they do. They are not trying to be Olympians.
I have a saying that I usually stand by pretty hard that "no good deed goes unpunished." I hope I'm wrong, but regardless of your intent, I just see this blowing up in your face and you ending up being the bad guy in some way, especially with all the machismo that exists in a lot of gyms. Just my .02. Do what makes you happy and I wish you the best whatever it is.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Great point. No good deed goes unpunished is so true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page