The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

2nd chemo treatnment

6K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  rem760 
#1 ·
I need some advice ,help ,direction, about 6 weeks ago I was told I have cancer , bowel and in liver, I started chemo shortly after, The frist treatment went well ,I did not know what to expect, (treatment was on wedneesday, and I come home with a pump on for two days, it comes of on Friday) by Monday of next week I was fine ,well good, mowed grass and could do things, here it is Monday and I an still not well, I am dizzy at times, done want to eat and the taste in my mouth is well the smell of Gym Seal, I have hard wood floors that I used that on until they tock from the market. any suggestions as to get rid of taste ? I understand that the treatments are communitive , I guess I would like to hear from others as to what they did to make it through this, I will let you all know that I an a survivor not a victim, thanks for your help treedaddy I am taking a pain pill ,and a no get sick pill , the no get sick pill makes me dizzy to the point I would vomit some to not be dizzy and I only tock the no sick pill till sunday am. then quit , I can't quit the pain pill as it starts to hurt, I also know GOD is pulling for me. this was hard for me to write as I am a private person, thanks for you help!

#3 ·
I have no information to help you tree daddy but just wanted to say you sound like your made of pretty tough stuff. You'll get through this. Hope somebody else has some helpful answers.

#4 ·
Be strong Treedaddy . I'll be having dinner with a close friend tomorrow afternoon . She has fought cancer for 9 years now . Dinner may not be a appropriate time with everyone there , but I'll speak privately with her ASAP for you . The Lord is on your side buddy . You WILL get through this .

#7 ·
1st, wishing you well & prayers for you.
2nd, although we are all human we react to the same things differently.

example: one family member of mine went through chemo with very few side affects, another was down for a week afterwards.

so again, I wish you the best.

#9 ·
At age 58 my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer. She had difficult chemo sessions and laid in bed a lot afterward. At her 1 year checkup, it was discovered that the cancer had returned so she had another surgery and a longer and stronger chemo series that really knocked the crap out of her. She essentially lost two years of her life through all of it.

Yet she survived and is now 71 with clean checkups now. Being treated for cancer is not easy physically or mentally for the patient or their family. But stick with it, have faith, and don't give up no matter what. There are new treatment options being developed all the time. Best of luck to you.

#12 ·
I am currently 48 years old and have survived 2 bouts with cancer. First was colon cancer, had the tumor removed and 8 rounds of chemo. Cancer came back and got into my liver, again had tumor removed and 12 rounds of chemo.

Chemo will take its toll. I would do things right after treatment like working or doing stuff around the house because I felt good but then I would get wiped out for days. Took me a little bit to learn to rest the two days after chemo my body did better. The taste thing is terrible, things that you love now taste horrible. That is not going to change. Eat bland stuff and stay away from salt. Chicken was good for me. Eat a lot of ice cream and Italian Ice. I took the nausea pills once after the first treatment and they made me dizzy. I never took another one and never got sick. Take them only if you need them. I was on Oxy for a long time because I had my stomach cut open twice, it hurt. Just be careful taking pain meds but if u are in pain take them.

The physical side of cancer we can take. The mental side I was not prepared for. A lot of stuff goes through your mind just take time and think things out. Remember your family is going through this too, they are scared.

And lastly do what you can do while you can. I was told I only had a year to live and to get my stuff in order. That sucked made me realize what is important.

If you have any questions or want to talk about things just ask. You and your family will be in my prayers. God bless

#13 ·
thank you you describe me ,I am going to get sleeping pills for the next round and Just sleep through it, I to am on oxy,the no sick pill does exactly what you said, can't eat cold till after this Friday, I get pain from cold, after the frist chemo we stopped at grocery store and got malk, we are in the pick up as the car decided to go to the garage for above a month and 2000$, any way helping wife get stuff in back of pick up I pick up the gallon of milk, with my pointer finger walked it around and set it in, walked back to driver side and got a pain in my kidney like it was being removed ,sweat beads on fore head , worst ever, just to note I have tranped on stuff that I had to go to hospital to get taken out and boot removed along with others , worst ever was the milk carton .to show you all where my head is at I have a couple of cancer jokes they only apply to me, 1 I decided to take up smoking , what could it hurt? 2 I was making out my Last will and testimony when it accored to me I never made out my frist will and testimony . thank you treedaddy

#14 ·
well i'll prob get trashed or banned for this but.....

don't be afraid to try pot for medical reasons.
it works well for nausea,without the side effects.
I used to buy it for my father before he lost his 2 yr battle with colon cancer that couldn't be cut out.
in some cases it can reduce the need for oxy's .that's always good because oxy's are a cruel blessing

#19 ·
I lost a good friend to colon cancer a few years ago. I'm thoroughly convinced marijuana added 6 to 8 months to his life. He couldn't eat after treatment because everything had a metallic taste. He was wasting away quickly. I told him to try marijuana. It was funny because he was all nervous about getting caught with a joint and getting arrested. I reminded him he was 73 and had terminal cancer and no one would be looking to arrest him. He started using it and was able to eat and get some strength back. It helped with his appetite and some of the pain associated with his illness.

Reactions: bohunr
#17 ·
to be honest ,,
it will probably only minimally help with the appetite
it can't make food magically taste better.it can however relieve the nausea and that's much of the battle with eating.

also be aware that there are many active compounds in marijuana,and using an extract is not the same as the whole plant.
as well as the means in which you take it can vary the effects and results

#18 ·
i have been told the CDB oils that are readily available without a medical prescription and card ARE NOT the same grade as the medical marijuana.

my Mother survived Cervical cancer and used COQ 10 to help recover from treatments. its available in the vitamin section of drug stores. their is one brand thats certified, i think its a USP label ? anyway the COQ 10 should be orange, its the natural color.

as far as the rest of your situation goes i would call the Cancer treatment center in Philadelphia, they are suppose to be the best, i do not know if they really are and i never want to have to find out who is, but they should have some answers for you.

Best of Luck, Prayers sent for a complete recovery.

CTCA Philadelphia

1331 East Wyoming Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19124
See in map

Open 24 hours a day

New Patients: (844) 288-9240

Existing Patients: (215) 537-7400

#21 ·
Hi Treedaddy January 2017 I was told I had colon cancer and had 3 spots on my liver, I said I will beat this, I am cancer free in my colon and my chemo treatments are working well on my liver. I will get a chemo treatment next Tuesday and the pump on till Thursday. I will not let this slow me down, my doctor does not why I am not having any side effect (hungry all the time) from the chemo. I have been shooting each weekend and planning to go to Ridgway on Sept 9 and the 2 day shoot at South Fork Sept. 15& 16th. Think positive Jim, if you would like to talk pm me your number. I live tin the Spring Church area

#22 ·
I had esophageal cancer and bladder cancer. For the esophageal they gave me the choice of chem and radiation or radical surgery. I went with the surgery because it had the best chance of survival if you got past the surgery. I don' know if surgery is an alternative for you but it seems to have worked for me. Make sure they are confident they can get it all.

My Mother had colon then liver cancer. She had the colon tumor removed and they burned the tumor on her liver electrically through a small hole in her stomach. Unfortunately, the tumor was too large for that technique and she passed after three years. You may want to look into this. Do you homework when making these decisions. I read a lot of technical papers on both techniques and it became clear to me what to do. Also, my daughter is a nurse in a gastro department and she got the opinions of all the doctors she works with. If you have a resource like that use it. Trust your doctors but look into it yourself so you can ask the right questions.

It looked bleak for me for quite awhile but I am doing pretty well now. Hang in there.

#23 ·
Prayers treedaddy !!!

I know I can speak for a few people...the members of HPA here provide some pretty good "medicine"....I think there are some closet professional comedians here...to keep one smiling ...and some that can really talk about the nitty gritty in life to help keep ones head up.

#24 ·
I had a chance to ask my friend about being able to taste food . She said there is nothing she's heard of yet that helps . Said she was getting a ( weaker version of chemo ? ) this time around and wasn't as bad as her other ones , so she could actually enjoy dinner this time around . Sorry I didn't have remedy for your taste buds Treedaddy . Best of luck on a speedy recovery . Your in my prayers Sir .

#26 ·
Think positive! Good luck!!

I had Chemo but fortunately I had no bad side effects.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

#27 ·
had 3 treatnment yesterday , and I must say I have eaten more in last two days than I did in two weeks,feel better than have in 2 weeks,still tired but not like before?/ get the pump off tomorrow afternoon and we will see, againthank you one and all for your support. treedaddy

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.