morning rant - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

morning rant

I really hate when someone takes up 87 spaces in the gym to do some kind of crazy workouts! I get to the gym this morning and here is this guy - taking up both squat racks (two different weights), the leg press, two benches for core movements (not benching), and the smith machine.
The guy has an ok enough physic not that it should matter, but I don't think he is doing a lot right (just my opinion) then he has headphones on so loud you have to tap him or wave him down to see what he's using. I just wasn't in the mood for it this morning so I changed my routine up to avoid him, but god a little curtesy if your using almost all the major machines in the gym and you see others show up offer to move and don't hog it all.
On the positive note I started with incline dumbbells and was able to get 130's for 8 reps on my final working set so I am pretty stoked about that.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM

I do about 20 different weights and machines so I am usually able to jump around to avoid others. Of course I go at non peak times which helps. I never use over two weights or machine at a time as they are available.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Gotta say the headphone people bother me. Especially when they think they are the only ones in the gym. I've had to tell more then one person that other people want to use the machine. They need to circuit train elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

It's simple to me if your gonna wear head phones and use all the machines look around and make sure your not hogging everything if others are there. I watch and if I see someone looking at what im doing I will offer to let them work in even if I am only doing 1 thing and I have a few sets left.
Shed Antler likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 AM
The Man

There is this one black lady that I see from time to time in the evenings. She wears headphones and sings out loud ! Usually around that time of night there is only 3 or 4 of us in the gym. There will be periods of silence and next thing you know she will start singing for 15 to 20 seconds then silence again. To make matters worse her voice is terrible.
Then there is this kid who has his girlfriend with him. I cringe every time I walk in and see him. He leaves dumbbells laying around in various places and uses them sporadically. He will have the bar loaded on one of the squat racks and it will remain that way the entire time he is there, even though he only uses it about 10% of the time . He jumps around from machine to machine and also utilizes one of the benches as well. He also never shuts up. The kid talks and talks and talks. His workouts have absolutely no rhyme or reason and I have never seen someone with so much downtime at the gym. Funny thing is the kid is pretty strong. Stronger than me in fact. If he actually focused and had some structure he would be a beast. Think genetically he is just naturally gifted.
There are a few other things that annoy me at the gym but happen less frequently. One of them is when I am on the bench in the middle of my set and someone passes over top of me or stands close to me. Really effects my concentration.
Anther is when you have a group of 4 or 5 guys in a particular area hogging it up such as the squat rack. It takes them forever to finish because there is so many of them. Also think it’s counter productive on their end because there is too much downtime between each individual set.
Then you have the vocal gruntin and groaning guy. See this type from time to time as well. Will walk over to say the dumbbell rack and start doing curls with terrible form and not much weight and sounds like he is passing a kidney stone or having a gallbladder attack. His commotion drowns out everyone in the gym and startles a few unsuspecting fellow members. He will then proceed to admire himself in the mirror and walk around like he is on stage at a body building competition. These types usually wear shirts a size or two too small for them or a wife beater to make sure their flabby arms or 14 inch arms are exposed for all to admire.
Now I am not trying to sound judgmental. I have respect for anyone who takes time out of their day to go to the gym and improve themselves. Also realize we all have to start somewhere. I just get annoyed by those who I have seen for months who don’t learn proper gym etiquette and make a spectacle of themselves, then walk around like Hercules when they more closely resemble Petter Pan or a regular at Burger King.
dragman likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 07-24-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM

Understand a week ago there was a guy with head phone voicing rap out loud which had vulgar language......

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Yes it's like everything else in this world people seem so into themselves they don't bother to learn etiquette. I have no problem with some grunting on a max set with some respectable weights, just like I have no issue with a little strutting and admiring ones self in the mirror in a tank top. I do think you need to put in some work first to earn that right though.
steelhead125 likes this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess I'm a little more tolerate of weight-machine hogs. I figure once they're done playing around I can get down to business, but by the same token they may feel the same way about me. Its one of the disadvantages of being a member of a gym, there is only so much stuff.
Quote:
He will then proceed to admire himself in the mirror and walk around like he is on stage at a body building competition.
Talk'n about the little fellers, when I was doing leg presses one time some clown dressed in his designer workout costume told me to leave the plates on "I'll need them next". What he don't know I was only warming up. When I was done I walked over the my buddy Doug, "watch this character". If you wanted to see something hilarious it was watching Mr. Fashion Plate struggling to pull off the ten 100# plates I had on.

Bill
dragman likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:41 PM
The Man

I just think gym etiquette is common sense and I guess thatís why I get so frustrated with those at my gym who donít use any or donít care about anyone else.
When I go to the gym I am there for one reason and one reason only. I workout hard and get out. I donít want to socialize and have conversations with others there. Not trying to sound like a jerk but making small talk breaks my concentration and slows my workout down.
I always put dumbells back after every set in case someone else uses them.
Always unload the bar and put the plates back when I am done with it so if someone else comes in they donít think someone is using it. This seems to happen all the time and why should someone else have to do it for you ?
Always wipe benches and seats down when I am done using them.
When someone is in the middle of a lift I make sure to give them a wide birth and walk way around them or wait until theyíre finished.
Donít walk around the gym talking on my cellphone oblivious to everyone else. Actually donít even bring my phone with me.
All very common sense stuff that some people seem to ignore .
In a way itís just typical of our society. Probably a big reason why I am not fond of public places these days and avoid large crowds.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
I just think gym etiquette is common sense and I guess thatís why I get so frustrated with those at my gym who donít use any or donít care about anyone else.
When I go to the gym I am there for one reason and one reason only. I workout hard and get out. I donít want to socialize and have conversations with others there. Not trying to sound like a jerk but making small talk breaks my concentration and slows my workout down.
I always put dumbells back after every set in case someone else uses them.
Always unload the bar and put the plates back when I am done with it so if someone else comes in they donít think someone is using it. This seems to happen all the time and why should someone else have to do it for you ?
Always wipe benches and seats down when I am done using them.
When someone is in the middle of a lift I make sure to give them a wide birth and walk way around them or wait until theyíre finished.
Donít walk around the gym talking on my cellphone oblivious to everyone else. Actually donít even bring my phone with me.
All very common sense stuff that some people seem to ignore .
In a way itís just typical of our society. Probably a big reason why I am not fond of public places these days and avoid large crowds.
I am a pretty decently social person I don't mind talking and giving advises while at the gym (UNLESS it's a absolute max set), But all in the same I don't have an issue with someone going it about it the way you do. It's the people that force there way on the rest of us that really gets my goat. I have lost my temper with people a few times in the gym with people. When I do it's not pretty and people usually listen really fast then!!!!! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page