New Chest Workout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
The Man

New Chest Workout

Going to start a new chest routine tonight.
10 sets of 15 reps on flat bench with dumbbells.
5 sets of 10 on incline bench with dumbells.
5 sets of 10 cable flys.
Maybe deadlifts after.

Should be pretty grueling. Been going heavy the last few months and have never done that high of a volume with lighter weight before.
Looking forward to seeing what kind of pump I get.

Anyone else have a chest routine they would like to share ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 PM

I do chest and Tri's together.

Flat bench:
warm up, 10-12rep, 8rep, 4reps
Dumbbell incline:
Dumbbell flies:
Peck deck:
10-12 for 3 sets
Cable Cross:
12-15 for 3 sets

then into tri's:
I feel like I do to much volume so unless you are on some good supliments I don't think that much volume is good. But you may be a genetic freak that recovers really well. Also how long have you been at it and how much weight are you moving? those determine a good bit too I think.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Been lifting for over 5 months now after a long layoff. My routine has been anywhere from 6 to 12 reps 5 to 6 sets flat bench with dumbells. Maxing our at 95 pound dumbells. 4 to 5 sets with 8 to 10 reps on the incline Different variations of flys but mostly dumbell flys. Finish with wide grip dips using full body weight. 4 to 5 sets basically trying to do as many as I can on each set.
I am going to really have to drop the weight to get through this new workout. Probably only use 55 pound dumbells on the flat bench and even less on the incline. If it jacks me up too bad I will have to modify it. In a weird way I am starting to look forward to the pain now.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Been lifting for over 5 months now after a long layoff. My routine has been anywhere from 6 to 12 reps 5 to 6 sets flat bench with dumbells. Maxing our at 95 pound dumbells. 4 to 5 sets with 8 to 10 reps on the incline Different variations of flys but mostly dumbell flys. Finish with wide grip dips using full body weight. 4 to 5 sets basically trying to do as many as I can on each set.
I am going to really have to drop the weight to get through this new workout. Probably only use 55 pound dumbells on the flat bench and even less on the incline. If it jacks me up too bad I will have to modify it. In a weird way I am starting to look forward to the pain now.
depends on if you want to build size. If you want to get bigger or stronger I think your making a mistake IMHO. can't do progressive overload with your new plan.
I live for coaching and helping people in the gym not gonna say it wont work because there are all kinds of genetic different people out there. What goal do you want to accomplish with this?

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I want to continue to get bigger and more cut . Kind of getting bored with the same old routine. I know they say heavy weight to build mass but wouldn't I still be creating micro tares in my chest muscles by doing this new workout ? If my 14th or 15th rep is almost to failure ? Also I was thinking doing something completely different from what I have been doing may create a new stimulus for the growth ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM

To create size you must follow some from of progressive overload. that takes a progression of weight or reps over time and when starting with weight light enough to go 15+ reps you can't really do it well unless your on gear and then all bets are off.
These are some 99% sure things:
8-12 is the best gaining size ranges because it's light enough to pump and tear into the muscle properly but light enough to contract and focus the energy. Any more than that and you lose a lot of the focus and end up building up endurance and oxygen to the fibers not adding to the size. Not that that is a bad thing but it's a waist of time for the power or look. Go less than 8 and you focus more on the triggering or activation of power. You will still accumulate size at a slower rate but the power will be the main focus in that range.
If your getting tired of your current chest work out do this:
substitute your next chest workout with dumbbell flat bench pick a weight that you can get 12-15 reps with and do 10 reps then pause for 10 seconds then do 10 more then repeat and as you get less reps per period add a few second more rest go from 10-15 but never more than 20. Do this for as long as you can until you can't get 1 rep the EAT! that's it for that chest day. since it's a 1 time shot I do maybe once a year it gives you a crazy blood flow stimulation that will revitalize your regular workout like never before.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:14 PM
dce
Sage

I'm not sure what age you are but be careful with the regular flat bench.I see you're doing the flat bench with dumbbells and that's smart.Up until I was about 40,I lifted pretty heavy every day with a bunch of guys at lunchtime.Bench pressing is actually a pretty unnatural movement and you'll eventually pay the price if you lift heavy.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 PM
dce
Sage

Go less than 8 and you focus more on the triggering or activation of power. You will still accumulate size at a slower rate but the power will be the main focus in that range.

I agree with that.If you're focus is on gaining strength,it's still tough to beat the old 5 sets of 5 work out.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Thanks guys
so the big question - How did the workout go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page