lyme disease - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

lyme disease

I had a bunch of ticks on me back in November...went to the doc a week later and he said I was a bit late but put me on antibiotics. I also got the blood test which showed I tested positive for 2 of the 5 parts that I needed to have full blown lyme....my question...am I out of the woods? Lately I have been feeling fatigued, pain in my hips and back, feel like I have lost some balance and coordination....I mean it's been 6 months...thanks guys, any answers will be greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage

Better to ask your Dr. rather than people on a message board
bad primer likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes, you should ask your doctor, but I will tell you what I know and yes I had/have lyme disease. Lyme disease, technically, never goes away and it will always be in your system. Some people, it will never bother them ever again, but there are some that will have chronic issues from time to time for their life. Those issues can be minor or major. My one friend has to get an injection once a year due to back pain caused from it. Me, on the other hand, tend to get very minor joint irritations from it. Good luck and take care, but as woods walker stated, I will schedule a follow up with your family doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can walk around for years with it and not know it while the disease damages your joints , heart and nervous system. Sometimes by the time you exhibit outward symptoms damage has already been done. It varies from case to case, but from what I've read many times a very aggressive antibiotic regime is needed to get things under control. Many times doctors are not aggressive enough with the antibiotics when treating lyme disease. Get yourself to the doc.

Everyone should keep in mind that lyme disease, especially in the early stages, can be hard to detect with current testing methods. Most doctors will want you to wait a month or two after exposure to be tested. If your doctor doesn't, I would be looking for a new doctor.
Tater86 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Simoncool that sometimes Drs only give antibiotics for 10 days to 2 weeks and think that should be enough. Yeah, you might start feeling better in that length of time, but often that is not enough to really take care of it. It will come back if they don't treat it aggressively. I am speaking from experience. I went for 3yrs undiagnosed and ended up having daily IV antibiotic through a picc line for 8 weeks at a time. First Dr gave me a couple weeks of pills and thought that should be enough.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:18 PM
The Man

I have been tested 3x. All 3 tests came back negative. They tell me this is common and after all 3 tests I was treated as if the tests had been positive. Each time I had to take antibiotics for 30 days. The experts told my doctor if he has symptoms treat him because the tests were not reliable.

The tests today may be more reliable and they are using an antibiotic called Doxycycline. Doxycycline seems to be the current recommended antibiotic.

Don't mess with it. If you have the symptoms get treated.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a doctor in Shippensburg,PA that treats lyme patients but does not take insurance plans... He is using the same drug they treat malaria with and it works on his patients... He does a blood test and if he finds what he is looking for he uses the malaria drug and his patients are happy feeling better...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Labcorp has a very good test they use for lyme disease
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 07:34 AM
The Man

LYME Disease.....the GREAT Imitator

...you DON'T need the symptons to have it...DO NOT take a tick attached on yourself or anyone lightly
...been on 3 rounds of antiB in 9 years
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM

not making light of lyme disease,but seen a sign at the vets office the other day. it had a dog biting into a piece of lime, ( the fruit ) and said this is not the way dogs get lyme disease. thought that was kind of comical.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page