Goals for the year! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Goals for the year!

Anyone have specific goals for this year?
I for one want to record a 405 bench while under 200lbs I am pretty confident I will pull it off at some point this year. I have some others but too.

Anyone else looking for specific goals or milestones this year.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM
The Man

I have a hard time envisioning where I will be a year out from now but I have an idea of where I would like to be come July.
1. Be able to do five or six sets with 90lb dumbbells for chest with 8 to 9 reps for each set.
2. Anywhere from 15 to 20 pull ups using my full body weight.
3. 260lb squats doing 5 to 6 sets with 8 to 12 reps.
4. Six pack . Need to get a lot more definition in my abdomen. Also finding this area to be the toughest to get results because it's so dependent on diet and also the least enjoyable area for me to train.

5. Gain size in my arms. Still seem to be struggling in that area for whatever reason. May have to lower my reps and increase the weight. May also have to eat more too.
6. Try to add an hour sleep every night . I can function fine on just five or six hours but it's definitely not ideal for muscle repair.

Also need to remind myself that I only started training in the beginning of January and not get too discouraged about what the tape measure is showing me. My strength and endurance has increased tremendously compared to when I first started and while my appearance has changed as well it's going to take time to get to where I am really feeling good about things.
WildBill and dragman like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My goals haven't changed, but at 69 I had to face the reality of father time waits for no one. On the bright side my arms have grown an inch since January now 17", chest up to 49" and still loosing some baby fat while gaining weight/mass/strength.
If I can regain all or most of what I lost over the past 12 years the time and effort will be well worth it.

Bill
dragman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 PM

At 72 still working on strengthening my reattached triceps one 4+ years ago and the other 2+ years ago. Workout 3 days a week 70 minutes to build my muscles to be able to pull by compound bow back on cold days. I can shoot all Summer 50-60 shots at a session, but when I set in a stand on a cold day just can't pull back that bow. I have lowered it down to 52 lbs. shot 70+ for years.

I feel I am strong enough but still cold day issues.

Have a guided whitetail hunt scheduled for late October and I despertly want to be pulling back my compound rather than pulling the trigger on that crossbow.
steelhead125 likes this.

Last edited by Born2Hunt; 04-04-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added more info.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:43 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
I for one want to record a 405 bench while under 200lbs I am pretty confident I will pull it off at some point this year. I have some others but too.
I did 405 for 2 reps when I weighed 215 at the time. Then I got greedy and felt like I needed to go for 450. I was progressing well and was in a competition and totally blew out my shoulder and bicep muscle of my left arm. To this day, I can't lift free weights. Good luck on your goal, but don't get greedy like I did and end up hurting yourself. If you can bench 4, then you are already stronger than the vast majority of people out there. More than that is simply not necessary.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I did 405 for 2 reps when I weighed 215 at the time. Then I got greedy and felt like I needed to go for 450. I was progressing well and was in a competition and totally blew out my shoulder and bicep muscle of my left arm. To this day, I can't lift free weights. Good luck on your goal, but don't get greedy like I did and end up hurting yourself. If you can bench 4, then you are already stronger than the vast majority of people out there. More than that is simply not necessary.
In my younger years I did 455 for a 1RM. and 405 for a solid 5 reps. 9 years off the gym and it took me less than a year to hit 400 again, but 405 at under 200 is a pinch away. I did 365 for 4 this week so I know I'm close.
I am a never gonna learn heavy lifter. It's not for ego or to prove anything to anyone it's just what I love.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

At age 57 I still lift weights but never try and push by lifting to much, I have seen to many people hurt their shoulders from bench pressing. Most of my goals this year are in running and I am doing the Pittsburgh half marathon May 7th.
steelhead125 likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
In my younger years I did 455 for a 1RM. and 405 for a solid 5 reps. 9 years off the gym and it took me less than a year to hit 400 again, but 405 at under 200 is a pinch away. I did 365 for 4 this week so I know I'm close.
I am a never gonna learn heavy lifter. It's not for ego or to prove anything to anyone it's just what I love.

That was my exact scenario. A few years off and then coming back too hard, too fast. Go for your goal, but take your time and let your entire body catch up.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Quote:

That was my exact scenario. A few years off and then coming back too hard, too fast. Go for your goal, but take your time and let your entire body catch up.
I can't squat for crap anymore I think it's something with my hips so I only go up to 315, and usually use leg press for my heavy lifts on legs. Dead lifts and back are my specialty I can still pull over 600 raw.
I don't know if body competition is in my future, but I am pushing myself as far as I can go. Doing mud run at seven springs next month that should be interesting lol

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My new running goal is to run a sub 6:00 minute mile. I really like doing speed work on the local high school track and it doesn't take a lot of time like training for a half marathon.
steelhead125 and dragman like this.

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page