Gaining Size - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Gaining Size

What is a realistic expectation when it comes to increases in arm size ? I am 6'2 and after two months of weight training my arms are measuring 16 inches exactly cold flexing. Really have no fat in my arms. (Still have some in the abdomen area. ) Looking to get them to 17 inches. I do just arms once a week . About 7 to 8 different sets working bi's and tri's lifting to failure on all of them. If I keep at it while mixing up my routine how many months do you think it will take me ? I know it's a tough question because genetically we are all different . Just curious what some others experiences have been in the gym regarding gains ?
Any thoughts ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 03-07-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Shoot me an PM or an email and I would be happy to work with you if you want. I have been doing some diets and training for some friends etc. I do it for the love of the gym and the iron brotherhood it's not my $$$ business LOL.
As you said there is a lot to go over that would be needed to know to determine your genetics and other factors to see what would be best. while some people might do what your going now and get results you might be doing more damage than good for your specific makeup.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rather than focus on the size of your arms growing by an inch, have you thought about leaning down cardio wise where you would see more definition in your arms? If you're already pretty lean, I would say you just need to up working the arms twice a week and you will see more results. I think as we age, a lot of guys focus on doing a lot of the same weight lifting routines we did as teenagers. What I have found to be more of a positive result is lots of intense cardio such as jogging (6:30-7:30 mile pace), rowing machine and rowing intervals, and the elliptical. I have combined this with lifting (I work arms at least twice a week) and intense core workouts, and have seen better results than I've seen since I was 20 years old. I'm 38.

After being diagnosed with two herniated discs last year, the core strengthening and yoga have all but eliminated my back pain. It's actually remarkable.

It's good that you're still putting the time and effort in the gym at this point in your life. A lot of guys settle for the notion that their bodies are over the hill by 35, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Good luck.
steelhead125 likes this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I think you may have mistook my height for my age. I am 44. Trying to do cardio once a week for about an hour. The rest is weight lifting. I have been incorporating full body stuff like squats and deadlifts and using my full body weight with dips and pull-ups as well. That along with all the traditional weight lifting moves that are common place in the gym.
Don't want to give the impression I am not happy with my progress . Feel like I am doing pretty well so far and you can only expect so much in just two months.
Yesterday was the first time I ever took measurements of myself and it really peaked my curiosity on how long it takes to increase your measurments.

Last week or so the weight has been coming off much more rapidly for whatever reason. Think it has a lot to do with the squats and the deadlifts. Need to start doing more abdominal stuff though. For whatever reason I have always found those exercises the least rewarding.

Only fat I am really carrying right now is in my lower torso. Everywhere else is lean. I guess 8 months of drinking beer and eating whatever I want will do that.

Thanks for the respose. I will try to keep everyone updated on my progress.
bohunr likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 PM

he said he was 6 ft 2 in, not 62

i was always under the impression that muscle gain had to do with working out at least every other day and eating the right amount of protein to rebuild the muscle after weight lifting breaks it down.

i just started going to planet fitness. i do cardio (treadmill, one hour) every day and lift every other day. right now i am only interested in dropping weight and toning up while building enough strength to keep helping the farmer bale hay this coming summer ( I hope he sells that place).

regardless, we all have to move around or our health will suffer.

P.S. I am 58 (not 5ft 8in)
steelhead125 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 PM

oops, ya beat me to it, i was typing while you were.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Drag I will send you a pm in a day or two. Wouldn't mind picking your brain.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Pick away when you have time. I love sharing knowledge and helping.
I'm 5'11''
Sitting at around 200-210
Arms are actually one of my weeknesses at around 18.75".
Remember triceps are 2/3 of your arm not just biceps.
steelhead125 likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Start training arms 2x per week. 12 sets biceps and 12 sets triceps. Gradually increasing weight on exercises. Standing barbell curls, and lying tricep extentions are good for size.
steelhead125 likes this.

Last edited by 35 whelen; 03-07-2018 at 10:32 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No Steel, I know you're not 62. it's sounds like your off to a good start and are in good shape already. I guess I just kind of hijacked your thread a bit. I was making the point that many guys give up on their bodies even in their 30's and 40's. I see young dad's all the time with a tire around their belly with a gut hanging out, and clearly haven't exercised in years. It's a shame. That is way to young to let your body go. I was giving you props for still caring.

You mentioned the squats and deadlifts. That stuff is good but can be tough on your knees, especially the squats. I think it all depends on what you're going for. I'm with bohunter. At this point, trying to lean out and tone is a healthy approach.

The days of enormous, muscle bound guys earning all the respect in the gym seems to be on the decline a bit. I think a healthier, leaner, and all around toned/cut build is gaining a lot of traction.

The core is the foundation for your body. Working your core used to just be doing situps so your abs look good on the beach. Core strengthening has evolved so much it's unreal. Just doing a 4 point plank a couple times, and holding it for a 1-2 minutes will do wonders.

There are so many exercises you can do using your own body weight, TRX bands, etc.
bohunr and steelhead125 like this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page