Back at it..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By WildBill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Back at it.....

....after a 12 year hiatus I'm back to tossing iron. Why the 12 year layoff? Some pencil necked moron rear ended me at 40mph while I was stopped at a red light. Why use brakes when a pickup truck will work? At my wellness visit in January the Doc gave me the green light as long as I don't do anything neck related.

At 69 I doubt I'll be able to get back to the good 'ol days when I weighed 255-260 @ 6' tall nor handle the weights but since January I've gained back 5 pounds, 234 to 239. I'm feeling better, have more energy and had to take my belt in another notch.

Now only if those chunks of pig iron could turn my gray hair back to red......
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:19 PM
The Man

Way to go man. That's great news !

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 AM

Go for it! the only limitation is the mind!!!!!

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Sage

I have been trying to get down to 230 to 235 for over a year. Get back at it, time waits for no man, do what you can and do it well, and often.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I have been trying to get down to 230 to 235 for over a year. Get back at it, time waits for no man, do what you can and do it well, and often.
its in the mind. no try just do it! put the plan together and don't stray.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage

As of today I am down to 237 in my skives. Almost there, then to keep it there, I do a lot of cooking and I like to eat.
NanookOdaNorth likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:49 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
....after a 12 year hiatus I'm back to tossing iron. Why the 12 year layoff? Some pencil necked moron rear ended me at 40mph while I was stopped at a red light.
Bill
I just started again after 12 years also, but my hiatus was the result of stumbling down the aisle with the greatest woman I've ever met. Don't get me wrong, it's not all bliss! I get to hunt and fish more than anybody I know, but I did have to make some concessions so I wouldn't get kicked to the curb right away! Hanging out at the bar, playing in a men's softball league and being a gym rat all got put on the very back burner.

Anyway, she had this wild idea that we needed to join a gym and get ourselves in better shape back when everybody else was making new year's resolutions, so I did some research and we joined a gym back in mid-January! I get there 5-6 days a week and she hasn't been there yet! I think she just wanted me to get back to lifting so that I would look like the stud she fell in love with all those years ago, to be honest!

My problem is I felt great around 200 pounds, but she's Italian and a really good cook! When I joined the gym I was 229 and now I have plateaued at 220, so I have a ways to go.

I think the important thing, as some of us are older now (I'll be 50 soon), is that everybody should work at their own speed. We are just doing what we still can and every day it's a little more than yesterday!

Good luck, guys!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Update....
As of this week I'm averaging 242#s only wearing my grape jelly stained BVDs. I'm still losing baby fat but thanks to good old muscle memory I'm gaining both weight, size and detail especially my arms, chest, traps and delts, the parts that deflated the most during my 12 year layoff.
On the downside I've had to go to a one day on-two off routine and allow a bit more time between sets. My recovery time and stamina isn't what they usta wuz years ago. In the short term I'm using lighter weights, 15 rep sets, burnouts and etc. If and when I hit the plateau I'll switch but not before. As long as what I doing now is working I'm sticking with it.

One the upside I've already out grown most all of my XL shirts and had to dig out some of the 2XLs I had stashed away.

Bill
dragman likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Your far enough back now it's going to hit the hard part! stay committed and mentally strong! don't fall into the something is better than nothing attitude I see with most people who get back at it. Keep pushing hard! congrats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page