Alcohol - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Alcohol

Any of you guys drink ? I am not going to lie I enjoy a good beer or a stiff drink once in a while. It's a real dilemma for me however because I think if I have anything more than 1 or 2 drinks in a given night I feel like it sets me back in regards to the progress I made in the gym . Maybe it's all in my head and it's really not that big of a deal. It's just hard to be at some sort of function and pass on a beer or two and drink water instead. Any of you deal with this sort of internal conflict that I am having ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Any of you guys drink ? I am not going to lie I enjoy a good beer or a stiff drink once in a while. It's a real dilemma for me however because I think if I have anything more than 1 or 2 drinks in a given night I feel like it sets me back in regards to the progress I made in the gym . Maybe it's all in my head and it's really not that big of a deal. It's just hard to be at some sort of function and pass on a beer or two and drink water instead. Any of you deal with this sort of internal conflict that I am having ?
It is bad as far as diet wise. added calories with no return (some would argue bad for you)
In my younger days - LOL I used to work nights. I would take a normal lunch to work then go to gym in the morning. After a couple hours of heavy lifting I would eat a few McDonald's extra value meals and drink beer 5-6 til I fell asleep. followed that for about a year put on a LOT of weight but was STRONG like most people will never see.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Sage

I knew some body builders who drank beer for the carbs. Like most things, if what you do is in moderation it will not hurt you.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:34 AM

I power lifted for years competitively and had a few beers in my day. Like stated above moderation is the key even with going to the gym (ask me about my elbows) ha. You cant drink a 6 pack a night and expect it not to bother you in the gym but if you have a wedding or hanging with some good friends enjoy yourself, You only live once.

Last edited by brittanyman; 01-30-2018 at 09:37 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the responses guys. About 8 years ago my wife was a month away from running in a marathon and they had a little seminar before hand in Pittsburgh at the Convention Center. I decided to go with her and one of the speakers at the seminar brought up alcohol and mentioned that anything more than two beers completely negates your workout for that day. I always use to have a few beers here and there when I was training but it really got my wheels turning . Then I began to read some literature on the subject and a lot of the stuff I was reading sort of mirrored what the speaker said. As a result I would end up skipping days at the gym all the time because I drank the night before and figured I would just be wasting my time. In hindsight however I drank a lot more often in my late 20's and early 30's than I do now and always saw gains in my strength and conditioning regardless if I had a few beers or not. Think I am not going to let that affect me anymore. Like brittanyman said, life is too short not to enjoy yourself.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 AM

Yeah that speaker is just dumb! LOL

I had a 1685 total in 3 years of lifting. I didn't take ANY supplements NO protein powders not even creatine. So I can firmly say that Alcohol doesn't negate it. I might have been better without it, but I don't think it hurt me any because of the schedule and how hard I worked.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Everything in moderation. 1 or 2 drinks occasionally won't hurt you. If you need alcohol to enjoy yourself you may have a problem. Now at special occasions once in a while knock yourself out. lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 AM
dce
Sage

I drank pretty heavily in my college years and had some of my best gains.I haven't had a drop of alcohol in close to 20 years now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page