Lifting Weights on Back to Back Days - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Lifting Weights on Back to Back Days

I know for most it's common to take a days rest after a session of heavy weight lifting. Or if you plan on lifting weights on back to back days that you should maybe do upper body one day and lower body the next.

Just curious if some of you think it would be counter productive to lift your arms one day and then shoulders and back the day after ? I know I am targeting different muscle groups but I still have to activate my triceps in order to do shoulder presses for example.

Just looking to maximize my gains in the gym without going backwards.

Also, chest has always been my weakest area in the gym . Would it be a good idea to possibly do one or two chest exercises on non-chest lifting days ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:13 AM

If it's any type of value, I've been training for about 18 years now. With that said, I have made many mistakes in my younger days that cost me later on in life. I've had both shoulders re-done, 3 herniated discs, pinched nerves and a torn hip labrum that I have yet to have repaired. A lot of those injuries most likely came from overtraining, especially when I was younger. As I've gotten older I have tried to stick with a push/pull regiment. Simply meaning that on days I do push (chest, shoulders), I follow that up with a pull (back, bi's) workout. When we do chest and follow it up the next day with shoulders we tend to start overtraining because parts of the chest are used when we train shoulders (mostly upper). Same thing goes for doing shoulders and following it up with chest because we use a lot of our shoulders when doing just about all of our chest workout. To answer your question in short then, I would suggest splitting them up. My current schedule looks like this: Mon-Shoulders/Tues-Legs/Wed-OFF/Thurs-Chest & Tri's/Fri-Back & Bi's. Although I wouldn't suggest working chest twice per week, if you do I would give yourself at least 3 days in between. I will say this though, you may just need to take a look at what you're doing for chest to increase your strength/size. Biggest thing I can't stress enough though is listen to your body. If I wake up and an area I'm supposed to work is sore, I find something else to do. Proper rest/recovery is imperative to making gains.
steelhead125 likes this.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:35 AM

Age and lifting experience???
There is a huge difference between working a specific group of muscles and them helping as smaller group. I would be happy to share some knowledge with you but need some more specifics on you.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I am 44. Been lifting off and on for 13 years or so. Getting back into it after an 8 month layoff. For the last 20 days or so I have been just prepping my body for a weekly routine. Cardio every other day for now just so I can drop some weight and trying to hit various muscle groups on the days I am not running the treadmill. Each workout has increased in intensity and my body is ready for the next phase.
Being my age l am aware how crucial a warmup is and also to be in tune with your limitations. At the same time l have a lot of willpower and can push to failure with the common sense of not injuring myself. No back or joint issues thus far.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:09 AM
dce
Sage

I'm almost 49 and have been lifting almost every day since I was in high school.Up until I was in my early 40's,I lifted heavy.I started having slight joint issues so i toned it down a bit over the last few years.I still lift almost every day and I still go kind of heavy but do more reps with a little less weight.I also stopped doing certain things like flat bench.That was always my strong point but it's an unnatural movement and bad for you.Today,I lift almost every day but only work one body part per day.I'll do bi's and tri's one day,chest the next day,shoulder the next day etc.I feel pretty good and never had any type of serious injury.I'm serious about getting to the gym these days but not nearly as serious once I get there.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 AM

What are you goals?? Size? Strength? Overall fitness???

Honestly your really not that old - I would do a "bro split"
Plenty of warmups
Chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms abs
then 2 days off for rest. You should be able to train to failure or beyond and as long as your nutrition is decent and you get good sleep you should be fine.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:43 AM
dce
Sage

In all honesty,a lot of times,your best lifts come in your 40's.Unfortunately,many people go down hill quick after that lol.
dragman likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:00 PM

HONEST goals are a MUST.

I know to many people who start out or get back and say - I just want to get in decent shape or be healthy etc, but in reality they want to be Big, jacked, etc. So they are never really satisfied and that leads to giving up. If you want to go for the biggest strongest best you I say go for it! doesn't matter if you 20 or 70! If you just want to be in decent regular guy shape that's great just really mean it.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:30 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I do a program I had a coach put together for me. 4 days per week, each is a mix of lower and upper body, however it's relatively higher reps and relatively lower weight...relatively as compared to something like a Wendler 5-3-1 program like I used to follow.

After a trip to the Rockies for elk, I learned that the Wendler approach was NOT for me. I don't need to squat 600lbs once, I need to be able to stand up a 100lb pack and haul it a few miles in the mountains. I don't need to bench 400lbs, I need have a back/chest/shoulders/core that can manage a pack's weight without injury or failure during the miles I need to go with that weight back there.

I can't follow Jim Wendler's advice of "3 conditioning sessions of 20 minutes a week, no more" because that's not what I need to hike 7, 8, 9, 10, etc miles at altitude.

I put miles on my road bike and miles on my running shoes, and I do my best to get my 4 lifting workouts in a week. Sometimes they fall back to back, as life happens. I'm working out my scheduling kinks. I can tell you that a strength workout on the bike in the morning (I get up at 4 to do my bike work on an indoor trainer before work) and lifting 13-14 hrs later and doing pause back squats, or front squats, or RDL/Stiff leg deads...yeah, I say some bad words lol. I make sure I'm eating enough and sleeping as much as I can to counteract that stuff, and I'm seeing progress.

Point in ALL of this is....what are your goals? Train for them. Much as I'd like to be strong like a powerlifter, that runs counter to my goals in other aspects of life, key among them is to be fit to hunt in mountains.

Goals will guide programming.
NanookOdaNorth and dragman like this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I don't need to be the biggest guy in the gym I just want to be ripped. Six pack Abs and muscle definiton. Of course I like the benefits of being healthier and feeling better but I also want to see how far I can take my physical appearance. I am not a conceited guy by any stretch of the imagination but I like a challenge and want to make the wife and kids proud.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page