Health - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By treemouse
  • 1 Post By dragman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Health

Why, with the country the way it is, is there not more positive light put onto physical fitness??? I call it fit shaming LOL.
We have so many people that are draining us and killing us with medical bills (I have been out of shape but never a medical burden). We all know people and have family that falls into that category, but your not allowed to say anything in fact it's usually the opposite you get the smart condescending comments if you work hard and are in shape. This is one of the biggest no pun intended issues that we can't talk about because of peoples feelings.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 01:54 AM
Banned

i think, this is a problem a indyvidualy human,because this his choise
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Good question, but I think you answered yourself with:
"This is one of the biggest no pun intended issues that we can't talk about because of peoples feelings."

Like with so many other things, the snowflakes will never run out of isms, phobics, ists, or other names to label people that simply speak the truth.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:11 AM

Tried to answer this before but the PC locked up.

I don't follow where you are coming from on this at all. I see lots of adds for physical fitness support venues from gyms / YMCA, martial arts classes, and at home support options (Peleton). Where do you see people being put down because they are in good shape? Really?
Physical fitness is a personal decision that requires a personal commitment and an understanding that the process is going to take time, money, and probably pain at one time or another. Sure, some folks simply can not do it due to circumstances that are too numerous to go into here.
Being in, or getting into, good physical condition is not yet a US Gov mandate regulated by a surgically implanted FIT BIT and monitored via overhead satellite link to a special room in the West Wing. Maybe someday..... Right?
And what in the world does the condition of the country have to do with being physically fit?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

Jimsdad, I think you misunderstood his post. I took it as what he called fitness shaming is talking about people who are in bad physical condition through their own neglect, not shaming them because they were in good shape.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
Tried to answer this before but the PC locked up.

I don't follow where you are coming from on this at all. I see lots of adds for physical fitness support venues from gyms / YMCA, martial arts classes, and at home support options (Peleton). Where do you see people being put down because they are in good shape? Really?
Physical fitness is a personal decision that requires a personal commitment and an understanding that the process is going to take time, money, and probably pain at one time or another. Sure, some folks simply can not do it due to circumstances that are too numerous to go into here.
Being in, or getting into, good physical condition is not yet a US Gov mandate regulated by a surgically implanted FIT BIT and monitored via overhead satellite link to a special room in the West Wing. Maybe someday..... Right?
And what in the world does the condition of the country have to do with being physically fit?
Yes you see adds, because people will spend money (usually because they think or at least want to believe it will happen because they spend the money they will get results) Hollywood and money is why you "SEE" but I am talking about the day to day life and people that you know in real life.
Go around to hang outs, sportsmens clubs, the coffee spot, etc (I am speaking of men mostly in this) and most of them are overweight or have some really bad habits. And yes if you bring up people that are in excellent shape or talk about what it takes to get in that shape you will usually year answers like:
I don't care that much, I don't wanna look like that, I am a grown man and will eat whatever I want, I would rather die early than eat garbage like they do. etc
What it has to do with this world or this country is pretty simple. I am not saying that everyone should be in great shape or eat like a crazy body builder, but WE as a country don't take care of our selves and I think the medical burden is probably the biggest single issue our country has. Shaming to me is simple it's more socially acceptable to be overweight than to be in really good shape. Go to a fair or an concert whatever and look around. No one will make any comment about the fat guy or girl, but if a guy is lean and muscular I bet you hear someone say "steroids" or eww look that's gross. Say Eww look that's gross to a fat girl and see the storm of defense that will come to her aid because that is so wrong. If she is a fitness competitor and really really lean and you say eww that's gross most regular people wont say anything about it. that is Fit shaming IMHO.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:30 PM

I used to get comments all the time at family get together's. Look at him. How does he eat like that and stay in shape? Then my wife would say " He runs and lifts weights". Then its like " maybe we should start exercising too". It wasn't gonna happen. Next family get together, same comments, same crap, over and over again. Been living in this home 25 yrs. Most of us are retired in neighborhood. Only a few of us use walk behind mowers. Most are riding big riding mowers for postage stamp size lawns. Some drive 2 blocks to the local park so they can take a walk??????? They drive grandkids 3 houses to the bus stop. This is the way our society has become anymore.
dragman likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemouse View Post
I used to get comments all the time at family get together's. Look at him. How does he eat like that and stay in shape? Then my wife would say " He runs and lifts weights". Then its like " maybe we should start exercising too". It wasn't gonna happen. Next family get together, same comments, same crap, over and over again. Been living in this home 25 yrs. Most of us are retired in neighborhood. Only a few of us use walk behind mowers. Most are riding big riding mowers for postage stamp size lawns. Some drive 2 blocks to the local park so they can take a walk??????? They drive grandkids 3 houses to the bus stop. This is the way our society has become anymore.
See you get it.
In the last 68 years we have made HUGE strides in the understanding of what foods are good and what ones are bad, and how they effect the body. In that same time period the obesity % in our country had quadrupled! So while we keep learning peoples own choices keep going the wrong way as our society spirals down the drain. We keep letting kids eat and drink so much processed crap that it's killing them, and we turn a blind eye. Technology is great and knowledge is power, but we so often use it in the wrong ways
Mussgrass likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page