4Likes
  • 1 Post By valkrider88
  • 1 Post By TENPT
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Heart Attack & Bypass Operation

After having a heart attack in mid August, I spent about three weeks at Hershey Medical Center during which time I had a quadruple open heart bypass operation followed by numerous complications that only by the grace of God I was able to survive.

If anyone here has had a similar experience, and a positive recovery, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences. I'll totally miss out on any hunting this year, but hope for a strong recovery in the future.

Thanks !

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had the same experience back in 2007. The road to recovery can be long and strenuous but is certainly possible with a positive attitude and determination. What you have experienced is a life changing event and will affect you both physically and mentally. It took me about a year to gain most of my strength back. Adjustments with your medications will be ongoing. If you are on any type of blood thinner you will not like the cold weather as it's a battle to stay warm. Extreme heat or cold are not your friends. Mentally,after being on death's doorstep and surviving, it changed the way I look at things. I lost my edge when it came too hunting but slowly gained it back over the years. Today I am no where near the aggressive hunter I used to be years ago but I certainly enjoy being at camp with friends. Good luck with your recovery.
Pa-Plinker likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:10 PM

I had my heart attack and quadruple bypass in July last year. It does't help that I need a cane to walk. Somebody else loaded my crossbow and I hunted almost every day in Archery season. I killed an 8 point the first week of rifle and a nearby hunter dragged it to my truck for me. I was very cautius at first. All my hunting is within 200 yd. of the truck. This year I got a gobbler and can pull my crossbow. I do the best I can with whats left of me at 79.
Pa-Plinker likes this.

TENPT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 PM

There are much better days ahead. February 2009 heart month had a quadruple bypass at age 64. It was rough, however, I deer hunted that fall and all the Spring turkey and archery deer seasons since. I hunt from climbers and lock-ons. I will be 72 this month. I work out three days a week for 70 minutes with weights. Some of my hunts are deep in the woods. I hunt 2-3 states for Spring Gobbler and often walk 5-7+ miles in mornings hunts in some steep country.

I have since had both of my triceps reattached and have worked through that. I take a baby aspirin and a 40 mg simvastatin. However, I did not have a cholesterol issue....I am told my issues were hereditary. I did not have a heart attack, but it was in the future for me, if I had not made a doctor visit due to heaviness in my chest area.

My thoughts.... follow the advise of the doctors, take medication as prescribed, keep a positive attitude, do your PT to the best of your ability, go in for all you post ops check ups and test and take a few minutes every day to appreciate life. You will get through this.

For now subscribe to hunting magazines, do some reading until you can get back in the woods.

Thank God.....I currently feel great and can stay up with many guys a lot younger than me. A few years since my surgery I cut, split and stacked 6-10 cords of firewood.

I will add you to my prayers PA-Plinker and wish you and your family the very best. Check in with us now and then to lets us know how you are doing.
Pa-Plinker likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Sage

I have not had the experience myself. However, I have a good friend I hunt with who has had three open heart surgeries and he continues to go to Africa hunting. He is a retired light Col. in the army and has hunted all over the world. He had the last one last year and this past February he went to SC with me wild hog hunting. While the operations are surely serious, they have not slowed down my friend, he is in his mid 70's and still running a setter and big game hunting.
Pa-Plinker likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page