Trouble sleeping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Trouble sleeping

Why is it that I have trouble sleeping the nights of a heavy workout day?
This happens so frequently that I can count on it.

Work out venue:
Monday - heavy weights 10 reps 2 sets. This will be the night I can not sleep.........
Wednesday - light weights 20 reps 3 sets.
Friday - concentration on extra cardio and whatever my mood is for resistance training.

I always do 1 mile on the stationary bike x 2, 10 flights on the stair stepper, 5 minutes on the stationary walker x2.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:01 PM
The Man

It's probably because of adrenaline.

I had this problem when I played in a basketball league at night. We played very competitively, so I'd get amped up, revved up.

And had a lot of trouble getting to sleep when I got home. Another guy in the league described the same thing happening to him.

Once you get a lot of adrenaline pumped into your bloodstream, it takes a while for it to work out of your system.

Adrenaline is basically like a natural form of speed. So your heart rate etc. is increased etc., and it takes a while to wind down.

When doing heavy lifting, you are probably getting more revved up for the challenge of lifting the heavy weights, so you probably get more adrenaline in your system than if you are doing light lifting or cardio.

So you may want to adjust your schedule. Do the heavy lifting at a time that is not close to your bed time, and not on a night before you have to go to work the next day.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
It's probably because of adrenaline.

I had this problem when I played in a basketball league at night. We played very competitively, so I'd get amped up, revved up.

And had a lot of trouble getting to sleep when I got home. Another guy in the league described the same thing happening to him.

Once you get a lot of adrenaline pumped into your bloodstream, it takes a while for it to work out of your system.

Adrenaline is basically like a natural form of speed. So your heart rate etc. is increased etc., and it takes a while to wind down.

When doing heavy lifting, you are probably getting more revved up for the challenge of lifting the heavy weights, so you probably get more adrenaline in your system than if you are doing light lifting or cardio.

So you may want to adjust your schedule. Do the heavy lifting at a time that is not close to your bed time, and not on a night before you have to go to work the next day.
Well, I'll be danged! Makes sense to me.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Banned

Not Only Working Out

This will happen when any activity that causes you to "amp-up". On my annual Quebec fishing trip I am up for 24 hrs driving but when I try to sleep the 1st night at camp...sleep comes hard. Day 2 it's lights out. LOL FT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page