cataract surgery - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

cataract surgery

Has anyone had this done before?
I went to the eye doctors several weeks ago and they told me to go see an Ophthalmologist, that I had a slight cataract on my right eye.
I went to the eye doctor originally cause my one eye felt tired and driving at night was becoming a problem, especially with oncoming traffic having high beams on or those new blueish white bulbs many of the higher end cars have.
If I closed my one eye things became clearer and sharper in the other eye.
After yesterdays exam they tell me I have one in each eye. There is no sign of any other type eye disease.
My question is how long should I wait until I schedule to have them removed and what type of limitations will I have till I heal.
The surgeon said I could not work for a couple days and then no bending over or lifting for 10 days and no swimming for 2 weeks, then if everything heals they will remove the other one.

With the summer right around the corner and wanting to be outside I want to make sure this is the right time to do it or will I need to keep out of the sun till both eyes completely heal.
Also, is it worth paying extra for the lenses that will correct the need for glasses.
Thanks
Birch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 AM

What did you decide? I am scheduled for a consultation in Feb.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Sage

I was going to have the surgery last year and also get the lens implants. My eye doctor was keeping an eye on my cataracts for a few years and he finally told me if I wanted the surgery he would give me a referral to an eye surgeon. I went to the surgeon's office and went through a bunch of tests and the surgeon came in and told me that if I wanted the surgery I would have to pay for it because my cataracts were not bad enough for my insurance to pay for it. So here I am waiting for the cataracts to get worse so I can get rid of them. They do bother me at night when I am driving. Many of my friends had it done with the lens implants and they are glad they did it. My one friend told me he hasn't seen as well as he sees now since he was in his 20's, he no longer needs glasses wing shooting.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I had them both done, one in July the other in September and it was a piece of cake.
In the US they will not do both eyes at once in case there are problems.
First day out of surgery was better but not great, the next day I sat around and vision and colors got brighter and sharper by the hour. Was like the first time I ever saw hi def tv. By the end of the day if they had called me to come in in the morning to have the second eye done I would have slept in the parking lot to make sure I wasn't late for my appointment.

I knew for a few years I had them but they went from 20/40 to 20/200 in a 6 months span. I could not stand to drive at night and oncoming traffic whited out everything.
Having the one eye done 8 weeks till they did the other was sort of strange but after a few days you didn't notice the other eye was cloudy.
Hardest part of the whole ordeal was all the drops you needed to put into your eye, and the restrictions following getting the lens.
I could not swim for 3 weeks, could not lift more than 15 lbs for the first 2 weeks and he didn't want me to use the boat for a few weeks till everything healed up.
Now my vision is 20/25 without glasses, I still need to wear a reading glass, not for type like a book or newspaper but for the really fine print. I can't ever remember seeing this sharp and bright and I didnt need any type glasses till I was in my mid 50's.
The doctor told me I could have got the lens implanted where it would correct that but the insurance only pays for the OML type lens and for the other it would be [email protected] lens. They claim the implants are better than what we are born with.

I would recommend this to anyone with cataracts it is painless, and success rate is in the 95% range.
I was awake and talking to the doctor and nurses the whole time and you will not believe how much you couldn't see before you had the operation

Good Luck
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:01 AM

I'm sort of in the same boat. My eye doctor thought my right eye qualified but wasn't sure about the left, although it also has a cataract. i won't find out til early Feb if I qualify. Yeah if Medicare/secondary ins won't pay I'll just put it off. My dad, my wife, and friends have all had it done and say nothing bad about it. One question, was it a local or a general anesthesia?

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage

Had both of mine done... started out with some valium then some local in the eye from drops. Very close to cocaine.

I tried replying when this thread first started kept getting shut down with long running scripts. Gave up and got po'ed.

wmu 3A
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

I had both eyes cataracts removed in 2011 at Elk county eye clinic in St Mary's by DR Karlik. I am very happy with the results My insurance payed for everything but $133 . Eye are light sensitive for a couple days but good after that.If you want the part done so you don't have to wear glasses insurance won't cover it. I didn't get that done.

ole yeller
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole yeller View Post
I had both eyes cataracts removed in 2011 at Elk county eye clinic in St Mary's by DR Karlik. I am very happy with the results My insurance payed for everything but $133 . Eye are light sensitive for a couple days but good after that.If you want the part done so you don't have to wear glasses insurance won't cover it. I didn't get that done.
That doesn't make any sense? That's the purpose, isn't it? What did they do for you?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

depending on how bad your close distance is, which is why you would still need reading glasses, depends if the other lens is worth it to you. The lens that insurance pays for will only deal with getting rid of the cloudiness and any distance corrections you have.
I actually did need to make slight changes to my rifle scopes before the season.
At 1500 an eye, once your normal vision is OK, you can buy a lot of drugstore reading glasses for that.
I went from needing glasses to recognizing faces and reading stop signs to going 99% of the week without the need of glasses at all.
I can read the newspaper, work on the computer and read most anything without the need of glasses.
When they did the eye exam after both eyes my vision was 20/25 and he said for reading just pick up a pair of 275 from CVS.
They did mine in a hospital since I didn't like the reviews the surgy center had. They gave me something IV but I was fully awake, talking to the doctor and nurses the whole time and went out for breakfast with my wife 1 hour after I left the OR
I have Blue Cross Personal Choice insurance and both eyes ended costing me a total of 600.00 and some of that was because I had mine done in a hospital , which was more expensive than if I was at the same day surgery center.

Once its done whatever it cost out of pocket is money well spent.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage

My wife had both eyes done two years ago and she had implants. The insurance covered all of it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page