Getting in shape - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Getting in shape

It is that time for me again to stop being fat and get in shape. Now that I am 33 I am thinking the heavy weights might no longer be my friends I might need to do more flexibility and cardio training. I just can't decide the only absolute is dieting and weight loss. So at over 30 which one should I go with? I love being powerful but it does have it's downfalls.
bigguy54 likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:09 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Heavy weights don't have to be off the table, just be smart about it and have good programming. If you're not familiar with how to set that up, there's tons of resources out there.

If you've been away from working out for a while, be careful with running as exercise. If that's your chosen workout, ease back into it. A program like Couch-to-5k is excellent. Cycling and swimming are good for low-impact, but you'll want to hit the weights to keep your bone density in check (neither cycling nor swimming are weight-bearing activities).

I personally try to do a balance of cycling and/or running and weights. I use Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 lifting programming, which I find to be simple and effective, both at improving my strength and avoiding over-use. If you use Wendler's system and are real honest with yourself (i.e. don't try to go for weights too heavy for your current capabilities), you'll be fine. I have an easier time staying humble and honest on max weights now that I got weights at home and I'm not in the gym. Shouldn't matter, but it does make it easier to just do my thing and not worry about anyone else.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 PM

The only way you'll get the weight off and keep the weight off is by counting calories and exercising. I lost 100 pounds over the last couple years. I'm 48 so I concentrate mostly on cardio. I started lifting a few months before my 47th birthday and even at that age, noticed I was making some good progress. I got cute and on my 47th birthday decided I was going to bench more than I weighed. (I was 216 that morning, had been working out with 160-180) I put 225 on, got it twice with little difficulty except for the excruciating pain in my right shoulder. It was six weeks before I could lift again. Now I don't mess with weights much. I'm content to let my heart be the strongest muscle in my body. I use an app on my phone called "lose it". Its great for tracking calories, exercise, etc. If you enjoy lifting, light weight and high reps is good for cardio.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 PM

I think a well rounded approach is best. Muscle is said to burn fat so lifting is never a bad thing, but you don't have to go heavy all the time. Flexability and cardio are important too. I'm no expert but I try to tailor my exercise to things that are useful for me and my lifestyle. There is a lot of different types of "fit". Someone may be able to run 12 miles on a treadmill but they struggle to hike up a mountain.
post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I have a very knowledgeable weight backround I did power lifting from 20 til 24 and then did body building for a while. Now I am 300lbs again LOL god have a horrible metabolism. Heavy weights are my passion I went back to the gym for the first time in 2 years and was still able to bang out 5 reps of 315 on bench (man did I pay for that!)
Taking it slow is the hard part. I want to try and make some lifestyle changes but when you did something in the past that worked it's so hard to not just try and repeat that. My joints just tell me no. I have never been a runner but would like to really give it a try that couch to 5k sounds really interesting.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:32 PM

I hate running. I'm a big guy like you but even when I was lighter I hated running. I prefer to just take brisk walks 4-5 times per week. I started out just doing 30min walks but gradually increased to 1hr. Since I'm a hunter I usually try to walk hiking trails so I get some hills mixed in which helps with leg strength and endurance. At 300 lbs your joints are not going to like running, but once you start dropping some weight you can work up to it. When the weather is nice I ride a bike to break it up a little. Swimming is really good too but I don't have access to a pool anymore.
dragman likes this.
post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I will definitely have to start out with walks my joints will cry if I just started running. I see people who love it and I just can't see how guess it's me just looking at them thinking the grass is greener. My target weight is around 220. When I was body building I was in competition shape (Sub 7% body fat) and I was right at 200 then.

post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I started C25K at 275lbs and did fine. Get appropriate shoes....and by that, I mean go to a running shop and get fitted for your foot, pro/supination, and such. Then you'll be fine.

C25K apps are out there for free. It makes it mindless, really. You put in earbuds, play music, and it'll tell you "walk" or "run" and when it comes time to switch from one to the other. ANYONE can do it. I went from 275 to 200 using running and walking.

Got into lifting and way from simple calorie counting and into my nutritional macros, plus just took time "off" from logging food, so I walk around at about 225-230 now, but far more fit than ever. When I was 200 I looked sick and felt weak because I did tons of cardio and ate a gross calorie count of 1700 or less daily. That was bad. I'm 6'2 and would like to be under 190, but I may not ever be that and feel healthy, and that's ok.

I'm stronger and more capable, the rest is just aesthetics.
post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:25 PM

I see you live in Apollo...find one of those river hills with a good path and climb. 1000' ft a day will do you plenty of good, 3 or 4 reps up and down. Vary speed and add a backpack and sandbags if you want, once you start to get your legs under you. Mix in a healthy dose of stretching and body weight exercises focusing mainly on legs and core.

When the weather warms up just staying active is great...biking, kayaking, team sports, whatever floats your boat. So many active things you can enjoy while doing them, sure as heck beats working out in the gym sense. Make healthy choices like taking the stairs, walking a golf course instead of riding, eating healthier foods etc.
dragman likes this.
post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
I started C25K at 275lbs and did fine. Get appropriate shoes....and by that, I mean go to a running shop and get fitted for your foot, pro/supination, and such. Then you'll be fine.

C25K apps are out there for free. It makes it mindless, really. You put in earbuds, play music, and it'll tell you "walk" or "run" and when it comes time to switch from one to the other. ANYONE can do it. I went from 275 to 200 using running and walking.

Got into lifting and way from simple calorie counting and into my nutritional macros, plus just took time "off" from logging food, so I walk around at about 225-230 now, but far more fit than ever. When I was 200 I looked sick and felt weak because I did tons of cardio and ate a gross calorie count of 1700 or less daily. That was bad. I'm 6'2 and would like to be under 190, but I may not ever be that and feel healthy, and that's ok.

I'm stronger and more capable, the rest is just aesthetics.

You and I are similar. I was 310 at my heaviest, I'm 6'1". I started out walking then worked my way up to running. I got down to 208 but couldn't maintain it. People would ask me if I was sick. I feel great between 218-225. I got lazy over the summer and got back up to 250. I've been working pretty hard since the day after Christmas to reverse that. I'm down to about 240 now and am shooting for 220 again. I run almost every day, usually around 4 miles. I can run 6-7 with little difficulty. 10 isn't out of the question and my farthest run was 14.2 miles. I enjoy running but honestly, walking briskly burns almost as many calories and its easier on your joints.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page