More bike stuff - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

More bike stuff

So I am getting used to my bike and enjoying the heck out of it. I got a Diamondback hybrid in April and I could not even do a mile on the thing but kept after it and last weekend I did a 30 mile ride. It killed my butt in a major way. Now, just yesterday, I found out that there are padded shorts that are made and I wish I had known this 2 months ago. Would have saved a lot of pain.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Re: More bike stuff

LOL! Chamois are nice, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. Proper saddle fit is most important. If your sit bones don't fit your saddle no amount of padding is going to help much at all short of sitting on a pillow. If you saddle is close to proper fit they'll help. If you just aren't used to longer rides yet and your butt hurts after your normal distance but not before then the shorts will help.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 PM
dce
Sage

Do they really make a bike seat that doesn't kill your butt or make you feel like you just took a line drive to the boys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 04:47 PM

Sure, but the one for me might not work for you. Saddle position relative to the pedal axle, handlebars, seat height, saddle nose position, saddle fore/aft position...it all comes into play. Add bike suspension front or full and you add in another set of variables....and they all affect each other in some way. Sometimes getting the seat postion right is a never ending battle.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I rode yesterday and after 20 miles (10 each way) I had enough. I know there are days when the energy just is not there but yesterday the soul was willing but the butt was in danger of being rejected by my brain. Maybe a gel seat or cover will help. On the bright side my back side does not hurt as much the day after a ride as it has in the past. Building callouses or killing nerve endings; whatever it takes.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:00 PM

They do make seat stems with built in shock absorbers nowdays. Also a wider seat is not always better on your buns.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Just came here to start a new bike thread, but figure mine will fit into this one w/out hijacking it....too much

I've been biking for many years. Used to do a lot of trail riding, and the bike I ride now is still the same one I rode trails with 20 years ago. As far as fit, it's fine. It's older and has no shocks, but I've kept it well maintained. I haven't ridden near as much as I used to since we've been spitting out kids over the past 12 years, but do so when I can.

I usually go to the gym during lunch and mostly do cardio, but I hate being in the gym when the weather is nice. I had been throwing the bike in the truck and riding at lunchtime, but recently I've started riding to work. The route I take is 14.9 miles each way with 3 hills involved, 2 of which are killers! It's tough on the way there, but fun on the way home Just one hard hill on the way home.
Except for the big hills, most of the ride is relatively level, some up and down grading but at most only have to drop a gear or sometimes two. Those long level stretches are where the seat fit really comes into play. That's where one tends to use the seat the most. Also where numbing sometimes occurs on certain body parts.
Which is why I just ordered the padded drawers. I used to have a gel cover on the seat which prevented that numbing.

I may take the plunge and buy a new bike this Winter, but for now the ol' Raleigh is fulfilling the need. Kinda proud of the condition it's still in (as well as this 50 year old body)! And that I can ride along with the others on the trails that are riding on newer bikes with all the bells and whistles.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I rode yesterday for the first time in a week. Had to let it go for a while because it was so flaming hot. Anyhow, I too have now gone to the padded pants and I have noticed that the sore rear is not a bad as before. But, I have a really tough time on hills and although I am getting better I have never been good on hills either running (which I used to do a lot before the Neuropathay happened) or even just hiking. I considered blaming the gears on the bike as the issue with hills, but I must just accept the fact that that it's me and my body not being good on hills. Yesterday I encountered a young woman, probably in her late 20's or early 30's, going up a steep hill that I had just walked my bike up. She managed to crank her bike up that thing and although she was wined and clearly working very hard made it. Now, I am 66 and still 50 pounds more than what I should weigh but in my mind I still think that someday I am going to get to a point on this bike that I do not need to walk them hill but will pedal up them like other people do. Well, that's my brain says anyhow, and this is part of the fun and I suppose why I keep after this stuff.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad
I rode yesterday for the first time in a week. Had to let it go for a while because it was so flaming hot. Anyhow, I too have now gone to the padded pants and I have noticed that the sore rear is not a bad as before. But, I have a really tough time on hills and although I am getting better I have never been good on hills either running (which I used to do a lot before the Neuropathay happened) or even just hiking. I considered blaming the gears on the bike as the issue with hills, but I must just accept the fact that that it's me and my body not being good on hills. Yesterday I encountered a young woman, probably in her late 20's or early 30's, going up a steep hill that I had just walked my bike up. She managed to crank her bike up that thing and although she was wined and clearly working very hard made it. Now, I am 66 and still 50 pounds more than what I should weigh but in my mind I still think that someday I am going to get to a point on this bike that I do not need to walk them hill but will pedal up them like other people do. Well, that's my brain says anyhow, and this is part of the fun and I suppose why I keep after this stuff.
Do you use clipless pedals and shoes? It's not a must, but if you learn to 'spin' you'll conquer the hills. Basically, you pull back/up with the weak leg while applying force with the strong leg on the pedal stroke. Amplifies your power and will let you maintain momentum longer and keep you winded, but moving.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Laugh all you want, but this is the seat I use.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeycomb-...h-Seat/4645496

Yes, it's an old man seat, but it do save the butt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page