Workout Supplements - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Workout Supplements

First let me say I know the number one thing is a good healthy diet, plenty of water, and proper exercise habits.

My question though, do any of you use supplements of any kind? Protein, creatine, pre-workout, etc. If so what do you use and why?

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 PM

Re: Workout Supplements

You certainly seem to understand this but I'll reiterate that consistency both in the kitchen and at the gym are the biggest keys to success.

Supplemental protein (mainly whey powder) is a staple in my diet. It's well documented that consuming relatively high amounts of protein is essential for building muscle and strength, as well as retaining muscle while dieting. Good whey protein supplements contain very high protein contents without having many calories. They are also very convenient.

I also take a pre-workout supplement though I often vary the brand (and ingredients). Mainly, I take them for the shot of energy they give me before I get in the gym. Some of the common ingredients in pre-workouts have also been shown to slightly improve performance and build muscle. Be careful if you decide to try one especially if you are sensitive to caffeine, because some have ridiculously high caffeine contents!

What are you thinking about taking? What are your goals?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Actually the two things you mentioned.

I have been doing research into whey protein. I want something as clean and natural as I can get, no need to put additional junk in my body. Right now I am leaning toward Bodylogix or Jay Robb. I am trying to find similar in a preworkout, that is a little harder to find.

I managed to lose 25 pounds just by changing my diet and I am continuing those eating habits in an effort to continue to drop fat. My plan is to now help that process by turning fat into muscle. Making muscle and strength gains are my main goal as well as becoming generally healthier overall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM

For me it is a protein powder usually a blend, creatine, fish oils for my joints, and a multi-vitamin. I do mix in a pre-workout sometimes for that extra kick in the butt before a workout. Sometimes I mix other things in but they are not necessary. Because of the creatine I drink 1 - 1.5 gallons of water a day.

For buying my sups I get them online and typically save quite a bit even with shipping. For protein, I usually get what every I can get on sale that is a decent brand and doesn't have too much extra junk in it.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Pre-workout I just eat a balanced meal about an hour before I hit the gym. Typically I have oatmeal laced with egg whites and maybe some blueberries or a bit of yogurt. After work out supplement is always a about 8 ounces of whey protein powder in water with some Dannon protein drink mixed in. At 66 I have lost 75 pounds over the last couple of years and have taken up bicycle riding to replace hiking for cardio because I developed Neuropathy in my feet (which is a pain in the nose).

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM
The Man

I just get the cheap protein for Walmart. I also like pre-workout supplements but they are expensive. Most of the time I use C4. It just seems to keep me focused and usually adds one or two reps to my set.
With that being said....the toughest part for me is staying committed. I usually make it a couple months then get sidetracked. Once that happens it's always tough for me to start back up.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 AM

Your body can't turn fat into muscle. Building muscle and losing fat are different processes. You need to consume more calories than you expend to build muscle and less than you expend to lose fat. The only real exceptions to this where you can build muscle and lose fat simultaneously are new lifters (less than a few months experience) and those who are taking "special" supplements.

Back to the supplements, as mentioned above, do yourself a favor and shop online. Sites like bodybuilding.com will have everything you could ever want for significantly less money than at GNC.

I usually end up buying Optimum Nutrition or Cellucor whey protein. There are plenty of other good ones out there though.

For the pre workouts C4 and Neon Volt are probably my two favorites. It's important to point out that your body will develop a tolerance to the pre-workouts, so it is a good idea to frequently switch brands and/or take periodic breaks all together.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 12:05 PM
dce
Sage

Chris,I've lifted 5 days a week for the past 30 years and I've never taken a supplement of any kind.The best supplement is your mind.I'm not saying they won't work but they aren't magic and the cost has never been worth it to me.About 5 or 6 years ago,I started seeing some younger guys get pretty big and strong awefully fast.Some were taking the real stuff but most were taking a supplement,now banned called extren.They banned it around that time but other supplements came out with the same active ingredient called nora19.My one buddy that I lifted with every day for years bought two bottles online.I always kidded with him because he was the only guy I ever met that worked out every day and just got weaker and fatter lol.In any event,he had a max bench of about 225 and within a month of taking that stuff,he was benching a legitimate 300lbs.He stopped taking it and was back down to here he started within a month or two.Being in a gym is a daily part of my life and I've never seen the need to take anything although I've often been accused of taking juice.I cut soda out of my diet a few years ago and replaced it with milk.Eat lots of deer meat,drink lots of milk and have the will power to work out hard and consistant.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 12:08 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox_Hunter
Your body can't turn fat into muscle. Building muscle and losing fat are different processes. You need to consume more calories than you expend to build muscle and less than you expend to lose fat. The only real exceptions to this where you can build muscle and lose fat simultaneously are new lifters (less than a few months experience) and those who are taking "special" supplements.

Back to the supplements, as mentioned above, do yourself a favor and shop online. Sites like bodybuilding.com will have everything you could ever want for significantly less money than at GNC.

I usually end up buying Optimum Nutrition or Cellucor whey protein. There are plenty of other good ones out there though.

For the pre workouts C4 and Neon Volt are probably my two favorites. It's important to point out that your body will develop a tolerance to the pre-workouts, so it is a good idea to frequently switch brands and/or take periodic breaks all together.
While that is true,you will lose a lot of strength as you lose weight.I used to compete at the bench press up til about 10 years ago.I normally weight around 205-210 but always competed at 198lbs.Just dropping 7lbs of excess weight would decrease my bench by 20 lbs and it always took a while to get it back up to where I was at that weight.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback guys. I agree that is it more mental than physical. It is important to put in the work and hammer it every day. I don't plan to go competing like you Doug but I certainly plan to increase strength, physical appearance, and overall health.

I would never take a supplement that was borderline "juice" or anything like that, I was just thinking of adding a protein mainly and maybe a preworkout.

Two baby girls and 55+ hours a week at work make it tough to be consistent but I am trying to carve out more and more time each day. Even if it is just 15 minutes on the treadmill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page