Bicycle on line sites for tech info - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Bicycle on line sites for tech info

Can anyone recommend a good on line site for recreational biking (bicycling)? I just bought a Diamondback Edgewood Hybrid with the intention of adding biking to my workout and I am looking for a site that I can visit for advise relative to the finer points of today's bikes.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 10:24 AM

Re: Bicycle on line sites for tech info

http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php and http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php
You'll learn anything and everything you want to know and even stuff you don't. Mtbr is focused more on MTB, but as far as gear and understanding the tech stuff I've found nothing better. Those two will get you started and from there Google is your friend.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Also, if you have a question about something related to the bike itself, parts, tuning, etc. Just ask me....I have a dangerous knowledge of all things bicycle, do my own maintenance, build my own wheels, service my own forks, shocks and hubs, etc.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks JN, this is just what I am looking for and is appreciated. The "I have dangerous knowledge of all things bicycle" caveat is perfect! I intend to go on a shake-down ride (so to speak) this afternoon after I work out. Anchors aweigh.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:07 PM

No problem, glad to help.

I'm assuming you got the bike at a shop? They likely will do a free tune-up or two for you after you've got it broken in. Chains and cables stretch and will cause shifting issues. Hub bearings will wear-in as well. Wheels will go out of true if not properly built/stress relieved/tensioned (yours are machine built...they'll need touched up and the shop probably already did it). So basically after you've ridden it a little bit it'll need to be tuned up to account for those things. Depending on the quality of those parts and the guy that put it together in the shop it can be minimal or extreme....varies GREATLY.

A little tip that may or may not matter for you: Tire pressure is important. If you run the tires at high pressure they'll be like rocks. They won't grip well on anything but pavement and they will transmit rather than absorb bumps and such....but they'll be fastest rolling that way. Lower pressures absorb the bumps better, conform to irregular tread and are going to be slower rolling. Find a happy medium for the conditions/tread you're riding on. On my mountain bikes I run as low as I can go without rolling the tire off the rim and/or pinch flatting (if running tubes....most of my MTB's are tubeless). On the road/town bike I run them higher pressure for less rolling resistance and because there's not so much in the way of bumps to soak up.

Enjoy your new bike! Be careful though, you'll soon find yourself wanting to be in the woods with it....and it's not built for trail riding so you'll either destroy it or be upgrading to a trail friendly machine!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey - sent you a PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page