We are becoming a nation of diabetics - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

We are becoming a nation of diabetics

We are becoming a nation of diabetics. Here's how to reverse this dangerous trend :

During the holidays, millions of Americans look forward to enjoying time with friends and family over big meals, parties, social outings, and drinks.

We all want to have a good time and the last thing we want to think of is the result of overconsumption. But it's time to wake up. America is becoming a nation of diabetics.

To clarify from the start: I’m not referring to Type 1 diabetes, which is a hormonal disease, I’m talking about Type 2 diabetes, which is a lifestyle condition that now affects one in four adults over 65 in the U.S. with one in three over the age of 20 prediabetic.

I have studied diabetes for over 20 years and based on my own experience as well as that of my patients’, I propose a simple alternative explanation: Type 2 diabetes is linked to the overconsumption of grains.

By 2050, one-third of all Americans could suffer from Type 2 diabetes.

The problem is severe—and expensive! The American Diabetes Association estimates that diabetes costs the American health care system more than $245 billion per year, in direct medical costs and reduced productivity. Worse, we can expect to spend billions of dollars more in health care costs for an increasing population of diabetics. The only way to stop this is to prevent the incidence of Type 2 diabetes.

Medical experts claim that the prevention of Type 2 diabetes is possible if people adhere to dieting and exercise. Although this sounds logical, it has proven to be ineffective for two reasons.

First, people are simply confused about what diets to follow and 80% of them fail (although Americans spent $46.3 billion a year in weight loss products).

Second, exercise burns very few calories relative to one’s daily intake. Neither walking 3.5 miles in one hour, riding a bike for 10 to 12 miles in one hour, nor running 30 minutes at a speed of 7.5 mph burns just half the calories in an average American diet of 1,800 or 2,000 calories per day.

Furthermore, once we hit 45 or 50, there is also a gradual decrease in the ability to maintain skeletal muscle function and mass, so exercise is even harder for most adults.

In order to prevent Type 2 diabetes, we need a new approach based on what diabetes really is.

Endocrinologists insist that “insulin resistance” in three sites in the body – muscle, fat, and liver cells -- causes Type 2 diabetes, but even after 80 years of research, we still do not have a test to measure insulin resistance. Plus, how logical is it that some cells in your body mysteriously become resistant to insulin while others don't?

I have studied diabetes for over 20 years and based on my own experience as well as that of my patients’, I propose a simple alternative explanation: Type 2 diabetes is linked to the overconsumption of grains.

We all know that our bodies are like hybrid cars. We can either burn glucose or fat. When people overeat grains and grain-based products, their fat cells fill with fatty acids as their body converts all that excess dietary glucose ingested through the carbohydrate rich grains to fat.

At some point, your fat cells are full and can no longer accept more fatty acids. In response, your muscles start to burn fatty acids and the glucose in your body is not burned and remains in your bloodstream, leading to high blood sugar and Type 2 diabetes.

The “fatty acid burn theory” is far more logical and can explain many anomalies about Type 2 diabetes, such as why thin people can also develop it (as they too have only a finite number of fat cells), why not every obese person develops diabetes (some obese people have more fat storage than others), and why some ethnicities of people are more prone to it (their ancestry influences their fat cell allocation).

What this means is that Type 2 diabetes is not some mysterious disease or pandemic, it is a lifestyle condition that can be prevented and even reversed.

As we go into this holiday season, I therefore issue a call to the National Institute of Health, and all health care professionals, to re-examine the link between grains, weight gain, and high blood sugar. And I urge the American public to take responsibility for your health instead of buying into outdated theories supported by forces that do not have your best interest at heart (including the personal agenda of pharmaceutical companies and the government's subsidization of grain production).

Get educated. It's your life!

If you want to avoid gaining weight and risk the onset of Type 2 diabetes or seek to reverse your diabetes and get off your medications, reduce your consumption of grains and see what happens. No need to count carbs, measure or weigh your food, or follow strict diets.

Just cut down on your overconsumption of bread, pasta, pizza, donuts, muffins, cookies, pies and cakes, and instead really taste, chew, and enjoy your holiday meal in the company of your loved ones.

John Poothullil, M.D. is a diabetes expert and author of "Eat Chew Live: 4 Revolutionary Ideas to Prevent Diabetes, Lose Weight and Enjoy Food (Over and Above Creative (June 17, 2015)." He has practiced medicine for over 30 years. For more information visit eatchewlive.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM
The Man

Re: We are becoming a nation of diabetics

I missed getting it so far. And I missed having to get the expensive medical treatments. Its diabetes, overweight, high blood pressure, heart disease, many are having trouble avoiding.

I walk weekly, and avoid taking any packages of sweets on the walk or hike, and never threw an empty package away in a park or forest. Trouble is I've avoided it for the last thirty years. And my feet have gotten bigger as I view my feet, standing straight up.

Of course, it does become easier, once the good habits are formed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM
The Man

Good post

My mom was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. She changed her lifestyle and she is off all medications and her a1c has been great.

I have Type 1 diabetes and although diet and exercise are a huge part of controlling it, I will always have it and have to take insulin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:07 AM
The Man

That's been true for years. Most people eat too much and become overweight. If you're young, you don't remember people being much thinner. The die was cast when the 300 lb. football player was accepted into society.
Twenty years ago I remember the tree stand with a weight limit of 250 lbs. Now the 300 lb weight limit has become the norm and we see some in the 350 weight limit class. And how long will a 260 lb. male use a tree stand, anyways.
I noticed the latest crop of females came out of hibernation and all seemed overweight. It's tough to lose weight, when you spend 365 days overeating, and you spend only the warm months attempting to lose weight by walking. It's sad. It really is.

They look and probably wonder why I'm out. But they missed seeing me in the colder winter months. Some days I was out testing some less expensive cold weather gear for hunting.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 AM

Diagnosed in the end of January with type 2. My A1C was over 11 and cholesterol well over 100. Started working out (running) and eating better cutting down on the carbs. The results from my blood work from april got my A1C down to 6.5 and cholesterol down to 85. Yes Diabetes stinks but with effort you can turn it around.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage

The first thing the doc did when I was diagnosed as type 2 was sent me to a class on diabetes. Pretty much went through what you would expect but what really stood out to me was explained they stopped going by the American Diabetes Association numbers and adopted the College of Endocrinology numbers for diabetes (A1C numbers changed from 7 to 6.5).

They went on to say that blood pressure is the next goal post they would like to move...Instead of the old 120/80 they would like to see it changed to 115/75

Kind of made it evident why we had an explosion of diabetes and soon to be BP issue too.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Regular Visitor

Type 2 diabetes develops when the body becomes resistant to insulin or when the pancreas is unable to produce enough insulin. Exactly why this happens is unknown, although genetics and environmental factors, such as being overweight and inactive, seem to be contributing factors. - Mayo Clinic

If you're in the pre-diabetic stage, read this because I don't want you to be me. Once you become a diabetic, you are always a diabetic. There are things you can do to help control your diabetes, you just have to remember that it's a progressive disease and almost always gets worse as time goes on. But hey, I live like I can be cured, and asked my doctors to treat me as though I can be cured. If I can help just one of you guys, it's worth the time for me to write this.

Here's my story:

I decided to try & lose weigh in September 2016. I stood 6'1" & weighed 255lbs. I was diagnosed as a Type 2 in February of 2017. BGL was 430, A1C was 15 (normal is 4.0 to 5.6), and weight was 235lbs. Doctor said I had to go on insulin immediately. I asked what I needed to do to get off insulin. He told me I had to completely change my diet, excersise, and go to a series of classes on diabetes & nutrition. So I implemented what the doctors told me to do & what I learned in class. I kept doing what worked for me & stopped doing what didn't work for me. By the end of May 2017, my BGL was 108, A1C was 6.1 (Pre-diabetic stage numbers, but once a diabetic always a diabetic) and my weight was 215 lbs. My doctors were thrilled. They took me off insulin & put me on metformin. I asked what I needed to do do to lose one full point on my A1C. They said that if I lost 20lbs, It might do it, but they cautioned that I may not drop. 3 months later, I weighed in at 195lbs and had a BGL of 94 and A1C of 5.1. Doctor's were blown away, I went from an A1C of 15 to 5.1 in six months. They never had a patient do it in that short of a time before. I just met with my doctor last night, weighed in at 196lbs, BGL 91, and A1C 5.2. I've been off all diabetes medication for almost a year. How did I did I do it? Through lots of blood testing to see what foods did & didn't spike the glucose level in my blood. I eat the foods that don't & I gave up eating the foods that do. I eat lots of root-vegetables (mosty roasted), fish (salmon, steelhead, flounder, striped bass), poultry, and very lean meat (mostly venison). I cut my non-fiber carb intake to 35 grams of carbs per meal, 3 times a day. I started out walking once a day. first it was around the block, then it increased. Walking got boring, so I started running. I now run anywhere from 4 to 6 miles per day, depending on how I feel. Walking, running, and a combination of a paleo & mediterranean diet has kept all of my numbers in check. I have to do this for the rest of my life...and it still might not be enough because of the progressive nature of the disease. Do what needs to be done before it's too late. Don't be me.

BTW, I'm running a 5k in two weeks to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. Please click on the link to donate. http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...al&fr_id=12755

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351193

Last edited by PAtradarcher; 05-29-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Most of the people I know with type 2 diabetes had it run in their family, and their lifestyles were contributing factors.
The treatment and detection has improved vastly over what it was years ago. Just like with BP the desired range keeps getting lower.

Many people seem like they can get the disease under control but it does not go away, if you get your numbers under control then go back to your old ways your doctor is not going to be happy next time he sees you.

Luckily I have escaped it BUT...... no longer schedule a doctors visit till the Thanksgiving, hunting, Christmas, and New Years holidays are 3 months behind me
PAtradarcher likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 PM

Until we have universal healthcare where everyone gets the same level of treatment for free medications and treatments for type 2 diabetes should not be covered by healthcare.

Sounds mean and heartless but it's a real touchy subject for me. You can have cancer and they will bleed you dry take everything you worked for in life even if you have insurance. People out there paying 3,4-5 thousand dollars a month just to keep taking medications to keep them alive because they got a disease that they did nothing to contribute to getting just the un luck of the draw. If you can't pay oh well you just die. But then they pay for other things that are an option and choice. 99% of the time type 2 is just like being a junkie. You can't control what it takes to keep yourself healthy so someone else has to pay the price financially????

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 PM
The Man

Read what the Mayo Clinic has written about it.

Study up on food groups and portion sizes. A good kitchen scale to weigh various foods is worth it's cost.

Everyone seems to be a little different as to what is causing it. Get a book on calories/carbs and study it while writing down everything you eat for a couple weeks.. Be honest with yourself! A real eye opener! Something will pop out at you...and you'll say holymollie .....it's no wonder I'm having an issue..LOL.

Stay as physically active as you can.

As Americans, above all else, we have gotten into trouble not paying attention/understanding portion sizes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page