I'm back! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm back!

Noted in another post I'm just now back in full swing since rotator cuff surgery last Dec. For the past 5 years I've totally fallen off the workout routing (small kids, lots of travel for work, etc.).

However, I decided enough is enough and started training at the local (Gracie) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu academy.

My children (5 and 7) have been going there for @ a year now and sitting there watching them train it's been killing me not being able to join them (I trained in BJJ for 3 years from 1997-2000, more than 15 years ago, and I loved it!).

Anyway, in week 3 now- the workout is total body resistance + cardio at the same time, plus you learn how to break limbs and choke people out, for 90 minutes (3x a week). To be honest, I've been REALLY sore , but it's a great motivator to eat healthier and get in shape.

So I'm back in the swing and lovin' it!

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Re: I'm back!

If you ever need to practice "choking out" somebody, I'm your man. Look me up.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Ha! I get plenty of practice at home

My son (7yrs) asks me every day to try and choke him so he can practice his escapes. We have 4 wrestling mats in the basement to goof around on. About a month ago he won his 1st silver medal at the junior grappling tournament in VA.

My 5 year old 50Lb daughter is really into BJJ. I lose count of how many times a week she jumps on my back and gets me in a rear-naked choke until I tap. That or armbars, we'll be sitting on the couch and she'll pounce on me and get me in an armbar.

The wife is supportive but not into rough play at all. My daughter tried to choke her once and she was not amused.

We went to an indoor water park in VA this past winter and in the wave pool all my daughter wanted to do was practice double leg takedowns on me. They spar for @ a half hour 3x a week at the academy, full contact. She can hold her own against any 5 year old, boy or girl.

Funny thing is she's a girly-girl, pink everything, dolls everywhere, but I have a feeling if she keeps at it when she's in her teens if any boy tries anything funny w/her she's going to rip his arm off or leave him unconscious on the ground, and that's a good thing

BH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

BTW, I started back into BJJ in the September time frame, and have been keeping at it despite tearing a hamstring and having to sit out for a month or so. BUT, I kept up w/exercise the whole time and fine tuned my diet quite a bit. Result? I lost @ 40 lb. Feel great!

BH

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hey Bumble!! Jeff Pike here. : ) A few yrs ago I lost 83 lbs, I started the day after I put my hunting gear away for the yr. It took me 13 months but it was the best thing I ever did. Good Luck!

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Jeff aka ShedSeeker- great to hear from you! Congrats on losing 83 Lb, that's quite an accomplishment and you should be proud of it. Great job! Nice fish too!

BH

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 12:23 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblehick
Ha! I get plenty of practice at home

My son (7yrs) asks me every day to try and choke him so he can practice his escapes. We have 4 wrestling mats in the basement to goof around on. About a month ago he won his 1st silver medal at the junior grappling tournament in VA.

My 5 year old 50Lb daughter is really into BJJ. I lose count of how many times a week she jumps on my back and gets me in a rear-naked choke until I tap. That or armbars, we'll be sitting on the couch and she'll pounce on me and get me in an armbar.

The wife is supportive but not into rough play at all. My daughter tried to choke her once and she was not amused.

We went to an indoor water park in VA this past winter and in the wave pool all my daughter wanted to do was practice double leg takedowns on me. They spar for @ a half hour 3x a week at the academy, full contact. She can hold her own against any 5 year old, boy or girl.

Funny thing is she's a girly-girl, pink everything, dolls everywhere, but I have a feeling if she keeps at it when she's in her teens if any boy tries anything funny w/her she's going to rip his arm off or leave him unconscious on the ground, and that's a good thing

BH
My 10 year old has been wrestling since he was 5.At that age,the boys wrestle the girls.Let me tell you,the younger girls are rarely a pushover and most of the boys get nervous when they have to wrestle one.Good luck to your kids.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey DCE, that's awesome that your son has stayed with it from age 5! Wrestling is a great sport.

You're right @ the girls. At the BJJ academy for the kids (age 5-12) the girls all seem to pick up the technical aspects faster than the boys.

BH

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 PM

BH, I'm starting to getting back into things since my surgery. I'm back up to 5 days a week running. Started to do some light weights combined with PT exercises. I have a little stiffness and hardly any pain. Taking things slow and easy. 13th will be 5 months since my surgery.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome Treemouse, best of luck and stay injury free!

BH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page