Pick-up basketball - first time in 10 years - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pick-up basketball - first time in 10 years

Just turned 40 this year. My god am I sore today after I talked a bunch of neighbors into heading up to our Twp. Rec. center for open gym.
First time I ran full court 5 on 5 pickup bball in 10 years. Thought my heart and lungs were going to explode!
My body sounded like rice krispies this AM... Knee is hurting right now.

I was expecting only a couple guys there and maybe playing 1/2 court 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 but there were 20 guys there including us.....

Flu hit me hard in early February and I hadn't done ANYTHING physical since then and I swear my lung capacity has decreased in half since then.
Running against 18-22 yr olds home on spring break didn't help either. But you know what, us old guys will be doing it again next week!

Suburban redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 AM

Re: Pick-up basketball - first time in 10 years

I know how you feel. Last year, I put the pads on for full contact football for the first time in 20 years. As odd as it may sound, I missed the pain.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, second week, did a lot better with my cardio after doing a couple sessions of Insanity over the weekend but, I broke my pinky finger on my right hand last night towards the end of our second game. Rode the bench for the last game. Probably out for at least a couple weeks and I am still sore ALL over today.

Suburban redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

I used to play racquetball pretty regular at lunchtime with a co-worker. That ended in 2004 when I came to Germany the first time. Haven't played again until a few months ago. A new co-worker and I started to play weekly. He's a retired Special Forces guy (luckily for me not in his prime anymore).
I work out several times a week, but that first time we played was an hour and a half session. First time in 11 years, and I could barely walk for a few days! Big difference in recovery time at 49 than it was at 38.
We kept at it for a while, but he wrenched his back after jumping into a pick up basketball game.

Working out and staying in shape is great, but sometimes the brain forgets the age of the muscles and joints that it's telling "sure, you can do that. It sounds fun!"

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 AM
The Man

Amateur basketball players should retire by 30. You stop being a rabbit. Retired from running forty years ago. You do what you can. I stay in shape by walking every week of every year. It's the tortoise way. Besides, I have injuries that rear their head up after 30 and 40 years.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Ten years really........I put a basket goal in my driveway a couple of years ago at age 69. I was watching the NCAA play offs and I determined the goal and the basketball are still the same size as they were in the 60's. Should be easy to make a few hoops. However, it does appear that 10' is much higher than it once was?? Back then at 5'9" I could jump up and grasp the rim with my hand however now at age 71 when I do make a basket and the ball sticks in the net I find that I need to use a stick to knock it loose. Still have fun though.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page