Running for old men - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Running for old men

Seems to be a few on here that, like me, started running later in life. I have been running off and on for three years now, but have taken it up a notch in the last year and wanted to ask a couple of questions. There is a ton of information on the web but it is hard to separate what would be appropriate for someone my age and running experience. I will be 54 in April.

On your long run, did your pace always get slower as you increased the distance or does it level off after a certain point? Say your current long run is 10 mile. Did you need to slow your pace to get there versus your pace during an 8 mile run?

At what long run distance did you start needing fluid or energy food intake during the run? I realize temperature is a factor, but just wondering if fluid or sugar intake helped you have a more productive long run in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Running for old men

Well we are all different in our late age physical capabilities so this is just my experience. I'm 59 and been running off and on my adult life but I am not fast nor competitive in races. In the 70s I was in the Marines running, 80s I did a lot of racing, 90s through early 2000s slacked off completely from the racing but still trained. Recent years been doing a little more and started non-competitively racing again, 6 times last year, 4 cross country. Although I wish I did I don't run from October through March. But I snowshoe when possible. Ran a 5K trail snowshoe race last Feb. On the computer I have complete running records for the last 8 years.

Regarding long distance once in shape and acclimated to that distance pace will vary only a little with varying distances. When in shape your pace is kind of your pace. A race pace will be quicker. You will know when you are there and maybe you are now but there comes a conditioning point where within reason the distance kind of becomes irrelevant for the pace. A 10K pace will be similar to a 10 mile pace. But in the beginning when you start transitioning to longer distances yes the overall pace may be slower because you're not accustomed to those last few miles but that goes away quickly.

I am not the right one to ask about taking in nourishment, I'm an oddball that way, up to 10 miles I'd say I don't. But don't take that as a suggestion, it is just the way I am. A lot of people carry a bottle on training runs, I never have.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Tundra, your info was helpful. This is the first year I have run thru the winter months. The new high tech clothing (aka Under Armor) makes it very enjoyable. I think I'll pass on the snowshoes though, sounds like a grueling race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM
The Man

If you are going to do a lot of running, be sure to do a thorough stretching regime. To prevent injury.

From one who learned the hard way.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 PM

I found my pace is about the same from 4 miles to 10 miles. The longest I have ever run was 14.2 miles. I had a pretty consistent pace up to 12 miles. After that I hit a wall and was really wishing I had brought water with me. I only ever ran that distance once but I've done 10 a bunch of times.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert
If you are going to do a lot of running, be sure to do a thorough stretching regime. To prevent injury.

From one who learned the hard way.
Good advice. Actually, a couple of months ago I started during some yoga to get more flexible. If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I would be running and doing yoga now, I would have laughed.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
I found my pace is about the same from 4 miles to 10 miles. The longest I have ever run was 14.2 miles. I had a pretty consistent pace up to 12 miles. After that I hit a wall and was really wishing I had brought water with me. I only ever ran that distance once but I've done 10 a bunch of times.
I am consistently hitting a wall between 7 and 8 miles. My legs suddenly get very heavy and my calves start cramping up. I thought there may be some type of chemical depletion going on that needs replenished. I am going to try taking a sport drink with me. Might also slow down some.

Thanks for the pace info. Gives me a better idea on what to expect as I increase my distance. I have no desire to run a marathon, but a half marathon is intriguing. I have a long ways to go though.

On a side note, anyone have experience with the various knee braces, compression etc.. My right knee is not that bad yet, but I foresee it possibly becoming an issue as I increase my weekly mileage. Not looking for medical advice, just personal experience with a knee brace. Thanks.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Hi neighbor. I see you're in GC. I'm on the other side of Slippery Rock. As for pace... Ditto what was already said. Hydration and food varies a lot from person to person, distance, and obviously temperatures. In general normal temps I don't worry about hydration for anything under 1 1/2 hours. Beyond that I carry a bottle. I typically eat a little something prior to most runs. I did Glacier Ridge Ultra 30 K ( definitely not 30 mile !) I used gels and ate a decent amount at the route 528 aid station. Some people have trouble eating and running but end up with much bigger problems by not eating on big runs. You have to work up to it. I haven't hit the big 5-0 yet but I started running 4 years ago at age 40. Starting late just means you have to accept your limitations like I had to.

"Into every generation a slayer is born... a chosen one."
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey rabbit,
Yea, I struggle with the age limitations. My mind and heart are still 30, but my body, especially my joints, are 54.

Even though I started running later than most, it has definitely made a positive impact on me, physically and mentally.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 PM
atr
Banned

I use to be a runner. While in the Army in Italy in the late 70's I won the combat crosscountry in Vicenza , boy did my kids get tired of hearing that, I remind them till this day lol.
My 2cents on running as we get older (im 62) is if you run at all don't overdue it. As we get older our knees are a valuable commodity and you don't want to stress them very much. If you have two good knees you want to keep them that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page