Weights question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Weights question

Can anyone suggest an upper body workout for me? I go to the gym 6 days a week and I normally do mostly cardio and every other day I do an ab cycle. I want to tone up my upper body because after losing 85 pounds, I could use some toning. I'm not interested in throwing around a bunch of weight because I'm too old for that stuff. During the week, I usually have about an hour and 20 minutes to work out. I want to still be able to do my cardio because at 46 years old, my heart should be the strongest muscle in my body. Anyone have any suggestions or have a routine they use?

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM
The Man

Re: Weights question

Heres a killer work out if you have access to a universal gym, set the bench press up to what ever weight you can do 10 reps, lift until failure, lower the pin 10lbs, lift until failure, repeat till you are just lifting the "bar" believe me, this will wipe you out.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Toning is high reps and lower weight. It helps with the cardio, too. I'd go with the classics, the bench, curls, flyes, dead lift, etc. Maybe some rows, too. Lat pull downs too. I'll probably be moving to cardio and more explosive stuff, tire flips and what not, in March or April, so I can look more like a running back in the summer.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

The gym I belong to has universal and free weights. Like I said, I don't need to bulk up. I just want to tone up. What I'm looking for is a regiment, x sets of bench, x sets of rows, etc and how often I should do them, daily, by daily etc.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Like you, I spend most of my gym time doing cardio. Being just shy of 50, I don't think I need to try to look like Arno. But I do try to keep the muscles I have in shape.
I use only the Universal machines, and as was mentioned, more reps with lower weight. But I regularly increase the weight as time goes on.
I mainly use the compound row, lat pull down, and the pec fly thingamajig. And at least twice a week I do an ab workout with the torture-like crunch machine, and the twist thingy.

Each day I do 3 sets of 15 reps per machine, then 35-45 minutes of cardio (usually on the elliptical cross-trainer), then the upper body again, or abs. Right now the rower and pull down weights are right at 100 lbs. The pec fly thing is 75-80. I could do more weight on each of them, but feel I get a better workout when not already straining in the middle of the 2nd set.

Don't just focus on the upper body either. The rest of your body lost weight also, and needs to tone up.
I do legs once a week; calves, quads, and hamstrings mainly. If I have mountain hunts coming up, I do legs even more.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:16 PM

Leg day is from Satan. But necessary. Try maybe 3 sets of 15 reps on each exercise, with a comfortable, but challenging, weight. It's hard to tell you how much weight to start with, without knowing how much you can lift, or your overall condition.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM

The toned look you are seeking comes from a combination of increased muscle mass and lower bodyfat percentages. The reason many people fail to get that toned look is because they lack adequate muscle mass in the first place. The higher reps lower weight equals toned look mantra is mainly a myth. It can be done that way, but it is not going to be the most effective means, as this type of training is better suited towards muscular endurance.

There is a lot of research that concludes maximum hypertrophy occurs while using moderate to heavy weights working in the 6-12 rep range. Lower rep ranges in the 1-8 rep range are more effective for strength training.

With that said, I'd recommend that you stick to the proven muscle building rep range I mentioned above. Don't worry, I promise that you will not look like the incredible hulk after a few months, but you should see the muscle definition you're after.

As far as programming, I'd suggest that you avoid the one body part per week type routines that are so common. Most beginners and novices cant handle the volume of work necessary to make those programs effective. IMO, You would be better suited to try to hit each body part twice a week. For instance, if you plan to lift 4 days a week you could have two different workouts like Workout A - Chest, Shoulders, and Tris, then Workout B - Back, Bis, and Core. You would then alternate the workouts and do ABAB each week.

Keep your workouts centered around the compound lifts ( think presses, rows, deadlifts, pullups,ect.) and use barbells or dumbbells as much as possible. Machine variations are ok, but they reduce the involvement of stabilizer muscles and will limit muscle recruitment during the movement.

Most of all, have fun with it! You will be much more likely to stick with it, if you enjoy it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used to lift a lot during college and most of the guys I worked out with had it figured out pretty well. The biggest mistake people do is they do the same workout and their body plateau's, yea you might be able to do more reps with more weights, but your body is plateauing so change it up a bit.
The best workouts I had was with free weights and doing the movement properly. What I mean is, you see guys in the gym who curl free weights that are too heavy for them, sure they might be able to curl 55lbs but watch how they are doing the curls, they are struggling and pretty much maxing themselves out. Whatever workouts you decide on, take the time to do the workout properly. Dont pick heavy weights, pick weights that you are comfortable with, and take the time to do the workout with good form.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:40 PM

Here's my routine. Before mocking the weight, please keep in mind I'm 160lbs, 37 years old and haven't seriously lifted since 11th grade.

Day 1

Wide Grip curls 3/12/65 (sets/reps/weight)
V Bar Push Down 3/12/50
Close Grip Preacher Curls 3/12/40
Kick Backs 3/12/15
Bench Dips 3/12
Hammer Curls 3/12/15
Machine Curls Drop Set 3/12/60
Machine Push Down 3/12/80
Ab curls 3/10/90
Wrist Roll Drop Set 3/12/90

Day 2

Dead Lift 1/10/150
Pull Up-I hate these, I do as many as I can do.
Bent Over barbell row 4/10/60
Lat Pull Down 3/10/90
Torso Twist 3/10/35
Seated Cable Row drop set (twice) 3/10/65

Day 3

10 minute bike warm up

Squats 3/10/150
Calf Raise 3/10/140
Leg Press 3/10/160
Leg Extension 3/10/80
Leg Curl 3/10/90
Ab Machine 3/10/90

Day 4

Bench Press 3/10/100
Incline Flyes 3/10/25
Machine Chest Press 3/10/75
Pull Down 3/10/90 Basically the lat pull down in reverse
Dips 3/10

Day 5

Shrug 3/10/165
Shoulder Press 3/10/75
Front raise 3/10/10
Side Raise 3/10/10
Machine Row 3/10/90
Torso Twist 3/10/35

Not included is cardio or stretching. Stretching is so critical, especially on day 3.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
Can anyone suggest an upper body workout for me? I go to the gym 6 days a week and I normally do mostly cardio and every other day I do an ab cycle. I want to tone up my upper body because after losing 85 pounds, I could use some toning. I'm not interested in throwing around a bunch of weight because I'm too old for that stuff. During the week, I usually have about an hour and 20 minutes to work out. I want to still be able to do my cardio because at 46 years old, my heart should be the strongest muscle in my body. Anyone have any suggestions or have a routine they use?
I strictly lift and have been doing it almost every day for about 30 years.The only cardiac I do is hiking the ridges on the weekends.There are a ton of workouts out there and most of them work.Back when I used to lift to actually get gains,I would do 5 sets of 5 and try to move up 5lbs each week.I'm now 45 and essentially past my prime.Today my goal is to make it in to the gym every day.All I want to do is maintain my strength without getting hurt.I still work out pretty hard but I use a little bit less weight and rep it more.I also only concentrate on one or two related body parts each day.At our age,I'm not sure how much the actual work out matters.If get in there and feel like you did something when you leave,you're doing good.Just don't get hurt.That's the main thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page