Eye opener - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Eye opener

had our biometric screenings at work today. My numbers are a bit scary on a few things. My triglycerides were WAY to high. 327 And my HDL was in the high risk range of 28.

With my families heart disease history I need to change up something here. My mothers siblings had an average age of 58 for passing. All were related to heart and artery issues. This is pretty scary to me. I had better change a few things in my diet quick, and get some more exercise in. Going to start today. reading some of the stories on this forum are good motivation. I had did it before and dropped a pretty decent amount of weight before. I need to do this again and stick with it. It can be tough with a busy lifestyle, but I feel this is something I really need to do.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Re: Eye opener

Not all heart disease is due to weight issues. Now, that's not an excuse not to get as healthy as you can be though.

Work at it and keep after it. Talk to your doctors and put it all out there to them so it can be looked at objectively and a direction taken.

We're here to help or support or whatever we can do for you.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

I wish you nothing but the best....even if you are a PSE shooter! Kidding....

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks JasonN

I have read your story for a while now on here, and I have fell off the wagon a few times but you keep trucking. Your posts are an inspiration. I went at lunch and picked up some steamer bags, some fresh "organinc" baby lettuce and some salmon and tuna packets. Omega 3
s are supposed to help reduce your triglycerides. It has to start some where.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM

That's right! You can't get anywhere without starting somewhere!

I'm glad I've inspired you! It's a journey, not a once and done kind of thing. Sometimes it takes years to figure that out. Or messing up, falling off, whatever you want to call it a time or two or twenty to figure it out....even if you already know it.

Sometimes it just takes admitting it to yourself and actually accepting it to make it happen.

You've acknowledged the issue so you've started! Now you get to figure out what paths to take and how to navigate them. There will be times when you choose poorly. It's what you do when you realize it that really counts.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Oh, I think oatmeal is supposed to be good for cholesterol levels too, but whether it's raising HDL or lowering LDL (or both)I couldn't tell you....I don't have that problem.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My brother died at 35 years old from what is known as the widow maker. He had no signs or anything. I had just came home from working in Florida and my dad had asked me to help my brother and him with pouring new sidewalks at my parents house. My brother did all the hard work and was taking a break in the house. He asked his 14 year old son to get him some Tums from grams cupboard. He was dead when my nephew and mother brought the Tums to him. He left a wife and three kids.

My mother had emergency bypass in 2006 and stints in 2009. Heart disease is no joke. Exercise is the best thing you can do for yourself. I try to get 4-5 days of intense exercise a week with the bulk going to the cardio side of it. I really don't watch what I eat but everybody is different. My numbers were high two years ago and now the Dr's tell me they couldn't be better. 110 over 65 with a resting heart beat in the 50's gives me piece of mind. Not to mention all great numbers on the blood work.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I am looking at getting th T25 workout video set. I have a few friends who have done it with great results. the nurses told me that diet and exercise are the only way to change these numbers. I did some small workouts yesterday, and did a brisk half hour walk this morning with some calisthenics before work. Checked the scale and am down 1.4#. Pretty bad to lose 1.4 pounds in one day by doing so low activitiy exercises and eating right. I will be increasing activity in the next week or so to get my body a bit more in shape before doing the T25 work out.

I was told that the excess fasts that don't get burned or stored end up flowing in your blood stream. My family has a terrible history of heart disease. I believe my mom had 3 heart attacks, and my uncle had 9. He was one of those that would not change his beer and cigarette life style though. I had an aunt who had a stroke in her 30
s who then passed away from cancer. My other uncle who is the oldest has had many surgeries on his heart and has had veins transferred throughout his body.

I am thankful that I had got the screening. I know I gained wait but had no clue my blood was full of junk or so to speak. This junk can harden the walls of your arteries and build up plaque. Given my families history I do not want to have issues when I am 35 so I have to act now. I am onl 26 and have this high of numbers. Hoping to drop down to 200 and keep it there, and make a routine of exercising every day that I can.

Having a 2 year old and one on the way really makes you realize how important your health is. So for now it will be diet and exercise. I plan to set smaller goals of 5-8 pounds a month to really keep things in check. If I do better than that so be it, but I always end up setting my self up to fail by setting too high of goals.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM

You can do it, Mike. I lost 80 pounds in a year and went from barely being able to run a lap around the track to running every other day, a minimum of 4 miles up to 14.1 miles. An 8 mile run is nothing for me now. Exercise and calorie counting are key. If you have a smart phone, download "lose it". Its helped me tremendously. Just to give you an idea, here's a before pic......

After.....

Same guy, same purple helmet, a year apart.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Awsome Steve

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page